Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My 10 year old has had major allergies lately and yesterday

Customer Question

My 10 year old has had major allergies lately and yesterday we took him to the doctor because he was running a low grade fever but was wobbly when he was walking. They said he had fluid behind his ear so they gave him a Z pack and a steroid. His fever is gone and is doing much better. He went to school today and just told me his legs got wobbly and he fell. He said it only happened once and other than that he has been great today. What was this today
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well the middle ear infection >> it sounds from your description that he was diagnosed with otitis media >> pehaps serous otitis vs a frank purulent infection... but anyway >> the inflammation of the middle ear might cause inner ear function disturbance >> this may cause problems with balance.. this could make him feel dizzy and off balance and in this way could cause a fall....

Anthony Bray MD :

This condition would not really lead to weakness of his legs though...

Anthony Bray MD :

He may have perception of weakness due to the fall...

Anthony Bray MD :

That would be the scenarion that I think more likely here....

Anthony Bray MD :

If he should have an ongoing sense of WEAKNESS of his legs then I would recommend further follow up with his doctor >> this could be an indication of something else going on of a neurologic nature >>

Customer: Such as what
Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps>> Let me know if you have further details / updates/ questions or discussion>> I will be happy to get back with you!!

Customer: He just told me when he got back up he still felt like his legs were weak and almost fell again. That was it he says
Anthony Bray MD :

Such as possibly Guillian Barre syndrome >> and hopefully and probably not but this can be a potential complication after a viral illness....

Customer: What is that
Anthony Bray MD :

That is an autoimmune disorder that may affect the nerves after a viral infection....

Customer: That doesn't explain much sorry
Anthony Bray MD :

I am not saying that he has this at all!! It would be among a list of possible causes of this type of symptom...

Customer: Is it permanent
Anthony Bray MD :

I think that IF he has an ongoing sense of weakness that he should follow up with his doctor...

Anthony Bray MD :

No that particular condition is not permanent per se .. but it may lead to progressive weakness obver a period of time with slow recovery and sometimes this recovery may not be 100% >>>

Anthony Bray MD :

I am not saying that he has this particular problem but only list it as an example of one entity that may need to be considered with this symptom....

Customer: U have freaked me out
Anthony Bray MD :

He would need to see his primary care doctor and if there are physical findings of concern then he may need further testing adn may need the assitance of a pediatric neurologist....

Anthony Bray MD :

I'm sorry...

Anthony Bray MD :

I am not intending to freak you out... still with this symptom it would be impotant to follow up on this... it is not a typical complaint....

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you haev futher questions. I will be happy to get back with you! Best Regards>> Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay he told me more detail. He had been sitting in class and walked down the hall. His legs both wobbled and he lost his balance and fell. When he got up his left leg was still weak and he caught himself. Then he was fine. You don't think this has anything to do with his ear or anything? This has never happened before. This isn't a stroke is it. He has been diagnosed with muscle spastic cp. could this be a growth spurt thing. We have been told when he has a growth spurt he may get clumsy. Could it be a mixture of the ear and that
Hello again,

From this additional history what seems to me to be particularly REASSURING is that his sense of weakness was ONLY transient >> this to me sounds more like the common experience that we have of sitting wrong and having legs(s) "fall asleep" > this type phenomenon would be more of the short type duration as seems to be the case with your son...

If he had a neurological problem such as the type I was describing earlier as an example then he would not recover to normal as seems to be the case...

So this aspect of his history is reassuring to me...

It may have been a positional type problem that improved as the change in position alleviated the underlying nerve compression...

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further details or questions and i will be happy to get back with you!!

Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said he was fine the rest of the day and he ran on the treadmill and was fine. Is that a good sign. Also yesterday he couldn't stop drinking like his body dehydrated from the meds. She a person has this type of cp can growth spurts cause wobble? Is that a normal reaction to growth spurts
Hello again!

Yes it is most reassuring that he later ran the treadmill and felt fine. That is great! This means very clearly that he DOES NOT have any neurological problem to worry about. That is wonderful to know!

I would not over-react to him being thirsty for one given day... if it was an ongoing CHANGE in his pattern then let his doctor know about it... you would want to make sure that this would not be a sign of diabetes for example. One day of thirst is not enough to ring any alarm bells in this regard however..(if he ran yesterday then that too may be a factor in the thirst...)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I made him run to check his legs.lol. You didn't answer if this is a common result of growth spurts with cp. I know clumsiness is a factor but with being sick and stuff would that contribute as well

Hello again, I see. Well you actually did a good job in testing him out it seems to me. NO I would not expect the symptoms described to be due to growth. AS I noted it sounds to be maybe a positional type source of the problem. If he got up from sitting and had trouble but later felt fine then he may have had a nerve compression that lead to this. Most of us have had this common experience of sitting too long and then when you get up you may have tingling in one or both legs and they may be weak as well. That is what it sounds that he may have experienced... I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Take care, Anthony Bray MD

PS His history of CP may certainly be an aggravating factor in this type of symptom. That aspect would fit....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it have happened before he walked almost a 100 ft hallway though? Or is that the nerve finally releasing like u were sayimg. I hope I am not irritating you. He said his legs did a quick wobble then he fell then stood up and left leg felt weak. That is the side of his cp. also my son is not graceful either.lol
Hello again,

Well if due to a nerve compression then you would tend to think this would be the worst as he first stood and started to walk. I think that his CP probably was an aggravating factor. His ear infection would also be likely to contribute to problems of dizziness and poor balance which could lead to fall...

It may have well been a combination of these factors that led to his fall. Still his improvement and lack of an ongoing problem I believe is the key in this situation..

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns. Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wasn't an ear infection but fluid behind his ear. I thought you said that couldn't be it. So confused. Every once I awhile his left leg will shake like crazy. He calls is his crazy leg where he can't stop it. He was complaining how his neck felt sore today. In the last month he has been getting healing chiropractic therapy. He has missed a few days because of schedules. The have been working on his upper and lower spine. In these sessions the are making adjustments to his spine. Would this be a possibility too. Cervical spinal semntosis
Hi again,

OK let me clarify a few things. The fluid behind the ear >> we call that SEROUS OTITIS. The stagnant fluid behind the eardrum will become infected if not cleared in short time span. Hence he was treated with the antibiotic plus steroid. (I was not sure to what degree his ear condition had progressed from the earliest discussion..)

Ear inflammation WILL cause trouble with dizziness and trouble with balance >> this could contribute to a fall quite easily >> It would NOT specifically cause WEAKNESS of his legs though >> that was the distinction that I meant to make...

His history of the CP is probably the reason for his "crazy leg" and this is also probably related to his sense of weakness or it giving way...

I think that both his CP and the serous otitis condition would be likely to be factors in his fall. It is still reassuring to me that he does not have ongoing change of weakness in his legs.. I understand that he may have trouble due to the CP but this is a chronic condition and not a change...

I hope that this helps to clarify what I meant. Let me know if you have further points of discussion. I'll be happy to get back with you!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about the chiropractic stuff
Hello again,

The chiropractic adjustments seem a bit odd to me at his young age... This is not typically a need at his age. I don't know the details of course that led to this treatment path.

Spinal stenosis of the cervical spine is not common at his age either as this problem is more commonly due to age related deterioration such as flattened or ruptured disks. It could be a possibility that he has abnormalities of his spine >> Possible but not common at all.. If this is a question and concern then you may want to pursue this further with an orthopedic specialist ( I would want independent confirmation of such a diagnosis and not opinion of one chiropractor that offered to give adjustments...)

Does he have scoliosis?? this curvature of the spine may be a reason to benefit from adjustments...

Neck soreness >> after adjustment treatments or independent of these??

The treatments themselves may cause some soreness. I'm not sure at this point the source of this particular issue...

Let me know of these details and I will get back with you! Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he does not have scoliosis. His spine does not have the correct degrees in the upper spine and lower spine. I just didn't know if not having these adjustments lately would be a possible cause. The chiropractor is cornerstone chiropactic in Norman oklahoma. The neck soreness is just random. Liken today it was really sore
Hello again,

I would not think it likely that chiropractic adjustments would lead to his problem with the sense of weakness and the fall. I have known patients on occasion to have reports of neurological consequences of adjustments though...

I hesitate to comment too much on this as I have not reviewed his x rays of course and I do not know the details of his particular history. It is uncommon in my experience for someone of his age to be in need of chiropractic adjustments though... I'm not specifically familiar with the doctors or the facility that you mentioned..(I'm in NC>>)

If the problem of his sense of weakness and fall was within 48 hours of an adjustment then the timing could point to a connection as a possibility but if not in this type of time frame then I doubt that they are related.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further concerns or questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor