Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My husband has been sick for eight days with coughing, green

My husband has been sick for eight days with coughing, green mucus, and burning eyes with discharge.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

Does he has any nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, fever etc?

Since how long he has this?

Any diagnosed medical problem or medications he is on?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He does not have nasal obstruction or discharge, but I suspect it is sinus or allergy infection, as we live in a high pollen area. He has alot of head congestion with coughing, and now his eyes have yellowy discharge.

Hi, i was not able to send reply earlier due to an error. You will get your answer in ten min. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Thankyou for your patience. Regards
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your husband's illness. Yes this sounds like sinus infection. Green color of the phlegm clearly means that he has a bacterial infection. Allergy is usually associated with such infections. I am myself an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist so I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily for five days (provided he don't have high blood pressure), tab claritin once daily and steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily usually help in providing some symptomatic relief. This can be tried before he visit the doctor but finally he needs to see an ENT doctor or even his local doctor to get his sinus xrays done. He may need antibiotics to finally get rid of this problem but till he visit his doctor, my suggestions will help him. I wish him good luck that he gets well soon. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.