Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I am being treated for acid reflux by the VA with omeprazole.

I am being treated for acid reflux by the VA with omeprazole. I was taking Pepcid with no relief. I was experiencing something like morning sickness if you will and have since modified my diet to exclude any carbonated soft drinks, smaller meals, not eating within 2 hours of sleep etc., these modifications have proven to be fairly effective in controlling the AM nausea. I have had 2 episodes ( one on late February and one today ) where I suddenly and I mean suddenly without warning experience something like a pain full muscle spasm in the diaphragm, momentary weakness, and shortness of breath. There is no left shoulder or left chest pain and no sweating and episode resolves itself within 30 seconds or so. Is this normal with acid reflux issues? At my last check up all lab tests were normal and negative occult blood in stools.

What is your blood pressure and pulse rate?

Any history of smoking?

What is your height and weight?Are you overweight?

Any history of alcohol intake?
Any history of diabetes?

Was your ultrasound examination done?

Any history of anxiety?Depression?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I quit smoking June of 2008, My BP is controlled to the 120/70 area with Verapamil and Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg, zero alcohol, no diabetes, no ultrasound, was treated in early 2000's for depression, no depression symptoms at this time, no anxiety issues, plenty of stressors with job, am self employed and have very little down time. Height 5'7" Weight 165 lbs

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe in my opinion,you need to be seen by a Gastroenterologist for a clinical examination to rule out Peptic ulcer,Hiatus hernia which can result in pain in diaphragm.

You need to undergo Upper GI scopy for further evaluation.

I advise you to start probiotic sachet containing saccharomyces bouladii which can be helpful.

Also hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

If you feel shortness of breath then EKG should be done for a precautionary measure.

As sometimes underlying cardiac pathology can mimic the symptoms of indigestion,heartburn.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.