A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

A few weeks ago, i had a uti, i was prescribed bactrim for

A few weeks ago, i had a uti, i was prescribed bactrim for three days. However i also had two doses of zoloft in my system so im wondering if that hindered the effectiveness of the bactrim because i feel that the uti was either never cured all the way and spread to my bladder or kidneys or it went away came back. i also suffer from depression and anxiety disorder and ive heard that it makes you more suseptiful to infections. My symptoms include frequent urination, constant urge to urinate, dull pain in lowr mid abdomin, lower back pain, some flank pain. I dont feel sick other than that, a fever comes and goes but its very low grade. Ive had very minimal spotting as well. Just wondering if the zoloft could have hindered the effectiveness of the bactrim or my body just didnt respond to it?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

The Zoloft would not have affected the effectiveness of the Bactrim. It may be a case of three days not being long enough to completely cure the original UTI. In any event, you need to return to the medical office and have another urine test to check for infection. If it shows positive for infection, the provider has the choice of a longer course of Bactrim or choosing a different antibiotic.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible that the infection has spread to the bladder or kidneys? I have a history of utis and kidney problems so I dont feel that it is an indication of an underlying serious illness.

It is always possible that a UTI will ascend from the urethra to the bladder and kidneys. Generally by the time it reaches the kidneys one is truly ill with high fever, nausea, and they feel really awful. It requires serious antibiotics immediately.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, one more question, since i have no insurance right now i have some old generic penicillin (amoxicillin) from an old infection a year ago. Would it be harmful to take a weeks worth dose of that to see if it helps first? I have 250 mg capsules.

Amoxicillin isn't useful for a urinary tract infection.

If you don't have insurance there are free clinics in most towns. There is two lists below, but you will probably find others in your local telephone directory since not all local clinics make the national directories.

http://bphc.hrsa.gov/

http://www.freeclinics.us/freeclinic.php

An infection can destroy kidneys, so getting help isn't something you want to postpone.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it more likely that the infection just never fully went away or it went away and came back? I havent had utis or problems with my kidneys since i was a little girl.

Odds are 50-50. There's really no way to tell.

Best regards,

Schuyler