A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

I am taking Zetona,Atorvastatin Calcium, Verapamil SR, Symbicort,

I am taking Zetona,Atorvastatin Calcium, Verapamil SR, Symbicort, ProAir, Zyrtec, Baby Asprin,IC Montelukast, Spiriva, Vitamin D3, Pilosec, Gabapentin and started Cephalexin 5 days ago. I have been having very dark brown (almost black) stools for three days now, is this something to be concerned about?

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Why are you taking cephalexin?

Have you had any diarrhea, cramping, nausea along with the darker colored stools?

Have you eaten anything or drunk anything in the past several days that you don't usually eat or drink?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am taking Cephalexin for a cyst in my breast tissue. No diarrhea,cramping, or nausea. I have been eating all normal food.

Thanks so much for the additional information. The color of feces relates closely to what has been eaten and drunk over the past couple of days. Any kind of cooked greens can result in very dark colored stool. So can the dyes in some beverages.

Very dark black stools can be from bleeding high in the digestive system, such as from a bleeding ulcer. Bleeding lower in the digestive tract usually results in red blood.

Do you take the Prilosec for an ulcer or for GERD? It's possible that the low-dose aspirin can aggravate bleeding, if that is truly what you have that is causing the darker than usual stools. You should phone your medical provider's office and ask about stopping it temporarily. They may want you to come in for an occult blood test. It just involves taking a sample of stool and testing for occult (hidden) blood. If it is negative, the darker color probably means nothing important. If it is positive, then your provider will probably want to order an upper GI series to see what exactly is causing the bleeding.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist