Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

One night after eating a couple pieces of chargrilled steak,

Customer Question

One night after eating a couple pieces of chargrilled steak, I started to fill uncomfortable in my chest area then it radiated around the whole midsection of my body. Pain radiated in my lower jaw on both sides so badly that it raised my bp. After taking 2 gaviscon, some of the discomfort subsided but not completely. Pain also radiated down both of my triceps to the elbow. I took more gaviscon when I got home and slowly the pain and discomfort went away. Very fatigued the next day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The time course of events that you describe does sound that the source of the pain was likely from your esophagus...

Anthony Bray MD :

The esophogus may have spasms and this may feel indistinguishable from heart related pain...

Anthony Bray MD :

With the pain radiating to the jaw and both arms as you describe this raises angina (= heart relted pain) as a possible concern....

Anthony Bray MD :

The pain from the esophogus may cause referred pain ( pain felt at a distance from the actual source) to the jaw and arms too however...

Anthony Bray MD :

I have not known liver pain or gallbladder pain to radiate to the jaw or arms but these sources could cause pain of the stomach/ back or chest...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that it would be prudent for your doctor to check your heart health to some degree as with an EKG... I do think that your history most likley fits with problem of the esophogus >> I think that follow up evaluation with Gastroenterologist would be important for you from this description...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that you probably need an upper endoscopy ( = scope procedure that could look directly at the esophogus and stomach...)

Anthony Bray MD :

I would caution you for now to watch potentially aggravating foods>> IF you had an esophogeal STRICTURE for example the you should avoid meats in particular and watch for anything else that may be difficult to swallow and pass such as large pills...

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have recurrent chest pain then watch this carefully and if you need call 911 and go to ER >>

Anthony Bray MD :

I would just urge and caution you to be VER CAREFUL with chest pain>> it sounds from your history to be more relatedd probably to esophogeal source of pain BUT the HEART is most critical of course... don't take the chance of ignoring heart problem...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this inforamtion helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back wtih you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful adn to your satisfation then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD