A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Thank you for taking my question. I have been on daily prednisone

Thank you for taking my question. I have been on daily prednisone 9 years...usually 8-10 mgs.
I just moved and got a new Rhumi..which I really like. I have seen him once. After he studies my history he is wanting to make some changes w my medications. He was not happy I have been on prednisone for so long and said he never keeps a patient on prednisone over 1 year. I really feel the prednisone has kept me stable. I am wanting to make a wise decision re: any change.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. Thank you for requesting me. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you.

Like all drugs, prednisone has side effects, and in this case some of them are serious (myopathy=muscle disease, glaucoma, osteopenia/osteoporosis, compression fractures of the spine, endocrine problems, and blood pressure abnormalities to name a few). All practitioners want a patient to be on prednisone at the lowest possible dose for the shortest periods possible. Your new rheumatologist may want to wean you off prednisone and try other drugs with fewer side effects instead. There is really no way to tell if you will be more comfortable on a new regime until you try it.

Best regards,