Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Hi. I work as a bartender

Hi. I work as a bartender standing on my feet for 12 hours sometimes. I wonder if the shoes insoles are a good alternative for my feet and also which ones work the best, XXXXX XXXXX dont get as tired.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have lower back pain?

Swelling in feet?

Do you have pain at heels or throughout the bottom of feet?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Pain in legs?

Any other medical history like Diabetes,Arthritis?

Numbness and tingling sensation in feet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Doctor. Thanks for the answer.

I am 27 years old and I am a male.

I do have back pain. However I would say it is normal to have such a pain after a stressful day at work (12 hours) with some heavy lifting.

I donthave a history of diabetid or arthritis.

My legs kinda hurt a little bit.

I wonder if those orthopedic fancy shoes insole can help with that or any other alternatives. thanks

Thanks for providing more information.

Insoles come in 3 varieties - off the shelf, semi-custom and custom.

Semi-custom are usually the best deal since custom are very expensive.

All inserts wear out after about 6 months of use.

With shoes, make sure you have the correct size - length and width.

You can get insoles in any shoe store ore shoe section of any pharmacy like

Custom made insoles.

Spenco insert. It is cheap, thin and flat, and it absorbs almost all impact to the foot.

For sports you can consider Softec Response Footbeds
For dress shoes,you can consider Thin Casual Footbeds

Even take short breaks of rest while doing work.

As you have lower back pain so you can also consult your regular doctor to rule out associated herniated disc,nerve compression at lumbosacral spine.

Use analgesic ointment/spray on lower back and apply warm compresses.

Also take OTC Motrin.

Start a multivitamin supplement.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

If your symptoms'll persist then consult a podiatrist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX physiologist, and strength and condition specialist who actually worked night life for 6+ years - literally the best money I ever made.

The fact is that muscles kept at a constant length are going ache - its something that comes with them being tonic(under slight tension) but also with the joints and muscles not really changing as far as motion(for example standing behind the bar flat footed).

Chances are your back is a little sore, not only from being upright but coming because the muscles that flex the hip(rightly called the hip flexors) actually attach to the front of the spine and ribs. So as these tighten up, they basically yank on the front of the spine(from the inside of the body). To combat this, you need to do your quad stretching, as well as lunging hip flexor stretching, regularly.

To combat the rest of the issues, constantly keeping your calves and quads stretched, along with shifting weight and being sure to actively change positions when you can will make a huge difference in your back, foot and lower body aches and with your energy levels to. Hydration is important so if you are drinking on the job, be sure to alternate your drink with water or gatorade or stick to just water. The more fatigued you get, the more sloppy your posture and movement becomes which actually cyclically makes you more tired etc. etc..

You should take the time to make a consious effort to stretch and re-elongate the muscles that shorten as you stand and serve. I personally used to go back into the kitchen and stretch, for 30 seconds each group once every hour or 2 - if I didn't I was super sore the following day and very stiff.

I would also alternate footwear and stick to soemthing that is already supportive. There are plenty of places that can make semi custom to customer orthotics if you think support is the issue, but keeping and rotating your footwear in and out can make a HUGE difference.

As a subscription customer it costs you nothing additional to rate so if you find this helpful and understand what I mean with it all - please take a moment to provide a rating. Also, please ask any follow up question you have.
Alex the other point I'd like to throw out there is the reason some joints ache is due to lack of motion(from being in basically the same positions is that the cartilages in the weight bearing joints(including that of the spine) are basically nourished during the intermittent compression from loading and unloading. People who don't see regular joint motion(even the barely movable joints) end up with stiffness and soreness that is alleviated over time, but otherwise can be generally preventable, especially at the young age of 20-40.

Out of courtesy I would kindly ask you to provide a rating, which costs you nothing additional but ensures I am compensated for my time over a myriad of questions with you. Being a subscriptions customer this costs you nothing additional.

If you need additional information please do let me know, as that is why I am here.