Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

Asking a simpler version if a question I posted to a cardiologist

Asking a simpler version if a question I posted to a cardiologist earlier.
can an EKG read
normal sinus rythym
consider left atrial enlargement
poor r wave progression
abnormal EKG

and another taken within the hour read
Normal EKG?

would the abnormalities from the first be permanent abnormalities that would always show up? Or would they only show up in the first one because I was having palps at the time or perhaps it was an incorrect reading ?

Do you have chest pain,shortness of breath?

Stress and anxiety issues?

When have recently undergone EKG?

Are you taking any medicines?

Have you undergone Echocardiography and Cardiac stress test?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
went because u was have palps lasting allday.recently adjusting synthroid as tsh is lowrecently weaning off klonopinsom chest pain all week, but burping alot , not eating much. Had a similar abnormal EKG two years ago.this time around doc said the abnormalities would mean that I had a heart attack in the past , which I haven't. which leads him to believe EKG reading was incorrect If I did have permanent damage would it show every time an EKG was done?Andvyes, u am suffering from severe anxiety, however these palps are lasting all week, be it subsiding alot.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for providing more information.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Firstly heart palpitations can be associated with thyroid dysfunction and Klonopin withdrawal.

Now regarding your EKG,sometimes it is not 100 % accurate to give you proper diagnosis.

Stress related heart palpitation can also alter the EKG results.

Poor R wave progression indicates left ventricle hypertrophy and can be caused due to high blood pressure.

Left atrial enlargement, if you really had it, could be from a stenosis (narrowing) of the mitral heart valve, but a murmur usually is easily heard with that.

And only EKG interpretation couldn't be conculsive.

An EKG does not assess the functioning of your valves. You will need an ultrasound of your heart to get a better picture of not only the size of your heart but also the valves.

Further a physical exam by a Cardiologist and Echocardiography,Cardiac stress test,Angiography also help in determine the exact diagnosis.

So consult your Cardiologist for further evaluation.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you for all the info .one last question tonight, why would the second EKG done less than an hour later come back perfectly Normal?he recommended only a heart monitor once my tsh is level and only if at that point the palps havent subsided and said echo and stress unnecessary .and he said that the EKG appeared to be from someone that had a heart attack, he sees this happen with larger chested women as the leads are placed incorrectly. I am not one if these women.

Thanks for the follow-up.

The leads might have been placed incorrectly during first EKG and as you have heart palpitations so it can interfere with the results and cause False positive EKG.

Holter monitor also help in determine the underlying cause of heart palpitations-Cardiac Arrhythmia.

It is better than EKG.

You need to first adjust your Synthroid dose and go for follow-up after 3 weeks if your symptoms'll persist.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.