Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Yeah I have a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX shoulder blade area.

Yeah I have a question in regards XXXXX XXXXX shoulder blade area. Whenever I ride my motorcycle, where in which I extend my arms out for the bars but nothing to serious. I get this very sharp pain in just my left shoulder blade area. If I would reach around with my right hand and put it on my shoulder right next to my neck thats where it would be. It happens about 30 minutes into riding and the pain is unbearable after a while. It's to the point where I can't turn my head to the right. Does this sound like a pinched nerve or something? Real sharp pain. But the other side is fine with the reach. I'm hoping it's something simple cause I have a lot invested in my bike and I love riding.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Associated neck stiffness?

Pain,numbness,tinging sensation in arm?

What is your occupation?

Prolonged hours of computer,writing use?

Dizziness?

Headache?

Since how long have you been suffering from?

Are you taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No neck stiffness. I don't believe there is any tingling in my arms but I did notice some in my left foot today. That could be unrelated, driving with the wallet in or something. Occupation wise I just got out of the army after 4 years (infantry) and am no going to school/ working part time as a fork lift operator. No dizziness that I'm aware of or headaches. I noticed I had something like this when I use to run on the tread mill on the right side. Don't remember if the pain was identical or in the exact same spot but I remember it being in the left shoulder blade area. No meds and medical history is ok I believe.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe possible cause may include Nerve impingement at cervical spine which results in sharp pain at that area where it supplies and can be intermittent and lasts for few seconds to minutes usually occurs at certain position.

Muscle pains are not usually sharp in their course, they can feel like a gripping or cramp like pain at their onset converting into a dull aching pain as time goes on which is aggravated on movements.

So you should do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses on affected area.

Also take OTC Motrin.

Even as you have recurrent episodes of pain so it is advised to consult an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo X-ray/MRI of Lumbosacral spine. for further evaluation.

It is advised not to leave it untreated as it can worsen over the time and also results in pain in arm.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do plan on getting it X Rayed in the next week or so. So do you think it is the muscle issue or nerve impingement? And is this something I can work away so that it quits occuring after riding? Like a massage or something could permanently work it out?

And I have another unrelated question if you have time to answer it. Lately the joints in my fingers have been hurting and they have red bumps above them. I lift weights frequently and recently thought squeezing the dumbells and such hard helped me get more reps up. But over the last week and half these joints have been sore with red bumps when I open and close my hands. There was on night I woke up and my hands were open and I closed them and there was a real sharp pain. I'm just hoping this isn't the start of arthritis or something and instead I just irritated my joints in fingers while working out. Thanks for your time

Thanks for the follow-up.

You can try gentle massage and warm compresses on back of neck and shoulder blade which can provide you relief however it can be temporary.

Even you can take OTC Motrin.

Physical therapy can be helpful.

It's good to get a X-ray which gives you a proper diagnosis.

Now regarding your swollen fingers,so possible causes may include Strain due to repetitive injury from overexertion,Gout,Rheumatoid arthritis.

So these symptoms may require a medical attention.

You can avoid physical activities for a while.

Also soak your hands in warm water for 10 minutes twice a day which relieve swelling,stiffness during making fist,pain.

Motrin can also help.

I suggest you to make an appointment with an Orthopedist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.