Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Anus itches. Not sexually active. Also have a rash at the

Anus itches. Not sexually active. Also have a rash at the base of my penis. Both itch and burn. This has been like this for months. Have tried hydrocortizone and preperation h
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Have you undergone any tests?
Is there any discharge?
Ever blood in stool?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No tests.

Discharge.... occasionally. Anus will be moist but it isn't sweat?

Blood in stool. Yes. Bowl movements are often painful.

Both rashes itch a lot.

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described can be due to fungal infection or hemorrhoids.Typically the perinium area becomes itchy and irritable, mainly in the creases.

Other causes of anal itching are:irritating chemicals in the foods we eat such as spicy,acidic food,irritation of frequent liquid stools, diarrhea.Other causes are:diabetes mellitus,crohn's disease,irritable bowel syndrome(IBS),hemorrhoids,anal fissures.

So the most probable cause of this is hemorrhoids or the fungal infection.

You need following tests:

-Rectal examination
-Anoscopy
-Stool examination
-Skin swab test of base of penis

The treatment of hemmorhoids includes local anesthetics like Benzocaine 5% to 20% (Americaine Hemorrhoidal),applying vasoconstrictors like Ephedrine sulfate 0.1% to 1.25%.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about treatment for the fungal infection?

Dear XXXXX,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Fungal infection can be treated by applying ointment containing clotrimazole+betamethasone.It is available at the counter without the prescription.

Apply the cream to the surrounding 4-6 cm of normal skin in addition to the rash/itching area.Also you may need oral anti fungal medication like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox).Also check your blood sugar levels.Keep your genital area clean and dry.Avoid undergarments made from synthetic materials.All this will cure the fungal infection.

So first you need the tests to know the underlying cause & then the treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles