Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Id like to preface this by saying I currently (for the first

Customer Question

Id like to preface this by saying I currently (for the first time in decades) dont have insurance. Its just too expensive, and we cant afford it.

I am a fifty year old female in otherwise good health. I dont smoke or drink. I am about thirty lbs overweigh.

I have been having severe cramping (like constipation) for five days now. I was sick with a cold two days prior to that. Runny nose, coughing, sneezing congestion (your run of the mill upper respiratory infection). I took great care of myself and the runny nose subsided. I am still blowing and coughing up brown, sometimes bloody mucus.

We had planned a trip to Disneyland (a gift for the family from my inlaws). I figured if I was constipated, that a change in my diet and all that walking would take care of it. I packed apples, grapes and whole wheat bread for sandwiches, I ate salads and other healthy foods while we were there. I was wrong. Sadly this ruined my trip to Disneyland, I was a trooper and held out the entire two days while in pain.

The cramps were getting worse and worse. Very little bowel movements (like dime or nickel size) each time. No gas.

I took a laxative the moment we got home. I awoke with extremely painful cramps around 5 am, and filled the bathtub with hot water. It seemed to help. I went back to bed, and about an hour or so later I started having liquid bowel movements.

It seemed to make things better early in the day, however, in the evening the cramps were back. My husband persuaded me to take more herbal laxatives. I took some Ibuprofen, and mostly slept through the night, with occasional waking for cramps. I ate lightly ( brown rice at midday, and soup in the evening, with lots of water in between)

Again, when I awoke, more liquid bowel movements.

Im wondering if my stomach is just sore from overuse of those muscles while cramping. The cramping still occurs, but usually after I get up and move around. In between the cramps, I just have a dull ache.

I figured if I got a fever, vomited or blood in my "stools" Id bite the bullet and go to the hospital.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions on how to get through this easier? Over the counter meds that could help? What do you think might have caused this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

Is there any swelling or distension of abdomen?

Dr. Saha :

In which part of the abdomen do you feel the pain mostly?

Dr. Saha :

Do you feel any any difficulty in passing gas through anus?

Dr. Saha :

How many times did you pass liquid stool?

Dr. Saha :

You may be having difficulty in entering chat.

Dr. Saha :

I am changing to question & answer format.

Dr. Saha :

Please reply to those queries so that I can answer you better.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Please reply to those queries, I have sent.

This will help me to answer your question.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tamera,

Without further information from you, I am writing the answer.

Constipation can occur from different causes.

Dietary factors are often factors as you are aware.

There can be other causes like effect of cold medicines, inflammation, obstruction etc.

In constipation there can be cramps.

Large dose of laxatives can also cause cramps in abdomen.

Please continue to take fluid as you are doing.

Over the counter pain medicines may not be very helpful for cramps.

Still you can use tylenol or ibuprofen.

But if you develop any distension or swelling of abdomen & if you can not pass gas then you need to rule out any obstruction in the intestine.

In that case, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

Again if the blood stained mucus continue, you should take an examination by doctor.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know.

Please click on REPLY TO EXPERT, if you have further questions.

YOUR SATISFACTION IS THE AIM OF OUR WEBSITE.

Best Wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I answered your question late, however, I doubt my answers would have changed yours.

At what point should I go to see a doctor?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I did not receive your answer.

Please send it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there any swelling or distension of abdomen? Yes some, however my husband thinks I look normal

In which part of the abdomen do you feel the pain mostly? Lower half

Do you feel any any difficulty in passing gas through anus?No problem, just not alot of gas. I actually thought in the beginning it was gas. I took gas relief (simethicone) and it didnt result in any relief.

How many times did you pass liquid stool? About six times yesterday, and twice so far today

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,

As you wrote yourself that vomiting, passage of blood with stool will need an examination by doctor.

In addition, if you feel that abdomen is getting distended or swollen, you develop difficulty in passing gas or if the pain is getting worse, then you should take an examination by doctor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you- I appreciate your confirming that Im on the right course.

It sucks not having insurance :(

Have a wonderful day!

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

You can visit a free clinic.

If one does not have insurance, one can visit one of the centers run by the Health Resources and Services Administration.

They provide affordable quality healthcare to people without insurance.

You can find a health center near you by clicking the link below
http://www.hrsa.gov/
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a follow up question.

I feel gas building up, without the urge to pas it. It is quite painful. Is this what you were referring to?

I feel if I could just pass this gas I would feel much, much better.

Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I was offline.

If you can not pass gas as you describe, then you need to take an examination by doctor.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tamera,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Wish your healthy life.
In case you need further help, please let me know,

Dr Saha
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im feeling much better.

Turns out I had Norovirus. I exacerbated it by not taking care of myself those first few days. I had a friend who had it, and described it exactly to me. I dont know if I actually got it from her, its highly contagious. Since than, two other of my friends said they had a similar bout with it, albiet shorter.

After I got my diagnosis, I vomited once, which might have worried me if I didnt know what it was.

I continue to have watery stools alng with as(which finally passed!)

Although Im still sore, Ive stared introducing solid food into my diet without any issue.

Im still taking it easy, as the cramps return when I physically overdue it.

Interestingly enough, on friend stated that Pepcid seemed to relieve the cramping.

Those five plus days were the mst miserable and painful days of my life.

Thank you for checking on me.

Tamera Field
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

Yes, Norovirus is so contagious.

I am happy to know that you are improving.

Please continue to have good hydration.

Take oral rehydration solution, gatorade.