Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My sister-in-law had a right side brain bleed six weeks ago.

My sister-in-law had a right side brain bleed six weeks ago. She has significant left paralysis which has improved somewhat through extensive therapy. However her personality is very passive,her speech limited to few words and it is difficult to ascertain her level of comprehension.This is completely different from her prior personality and seems to be worsening. What do you think is happening?

$20.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied, I am really sorry to hear what you and your family are going through .

The problem with brain injuries is all the abilities they can affect when they occurred .

In multiple cases , specially when the frontal , parietal, the amygdala or the temporal lobe becomes affected , the patient personality could suffer temporary or permanent changes .

Brain injuries could damage neurons and nerve tracts ,this could interrupt or block the normal nerve and message transmission ,producing several changes in the way that person reacts ,feels ,moves ,thinks and behaves.

In her case , one of those brain areas I mentioned before was probably affected and that explains why she is behaving differently. The ability for the patient to recover will be based in the location and the level of injury she suffered.

Right now , You have to give her time because with this type of injury ,specially with brain bleeding , it could take 6 months to two years for the patient to experience a full recovery and improvement .

After two years,most of the remaining changes are usually permanent ,but right now it has only been 6 weeks ,so she has a lot of time ahead to recover.

The recovery treatment needs to be multidisciplinary with a neurologist , a psychologist to manage any emotional issues ,psychiatrist in case she needs medication to treat depression,anxiety or anger problems, cognitive therapy so she can learn to process thinking thoughts and recover some intellectual capacity ,physical therapy to manage any motor problem she has and occupational therapy that will help her to perform most of the regular daily living tasks within her ability and capacity .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day ! When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD