Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

hi doc forgot to credit you iam the violinist the blocked

Customer Question

this is a question for Anthony bray md only

hi doc forgot to credit you i am the violinist they  blocked my account so i open new account i have a question for you so i can credit you any risks to hepatitis when come in contact with cockroach , i leave food on my counter kitchen and i have some roaches around what if they crawled over my food wiil i be at risk for hep,b,c

Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again!
Anthony Bray MD : No roaches would not be a concern for hepatitis ...they would be a concern for other types contamination but not for hepatitis . Hep B and C are not transmitted in this way. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions!
Anthony Bray MD : Best Regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont think i am worried about this but i want to run by you any way , i had a empty tahini container with a cap on sitting on my counter for months and yesterday i washed the container because i wanted to put there fresh tahini

I forgot to wash the top edge of the container so as i was pouring the tahini to my plate the tahini came in contact with the top edge of this container and i probably touched the top edge of the container while my hands were not washed back than + the container had access to air and i am sure is not clean

so wounder any risk for any hep ?

Hello again,

There would be absolutely no risk of contracting hepatitis from the situation that you describe here! This would not be possible. There is zero risk from this situation. So try to relax! I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further concerns!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i bought a frying pan and i did wash the inner pen but not the edge of this frying and when i was putting food in to the pan the food touched the edge of the pan were i did not washed ,i ate the food and wounding if i am at risk for hepatitis or any other blood disease
Hello!

No the situation that you describe would not place you at risk for hepatitis. This should cause you no concern!

Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my healing cut on my finger came in contact with paper money and coins and money is touched by a lot of people any risk for hepatitis , b,c

Hello again,

Even though money comes into contact with many the cut itself would quickly dry and seal itself off. As long as the wound is not fresh and bleeding then it should be safe vs this type if exposure risk. So here again you should be safe.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. Take Care,

Anthony Brsy MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so in this situation i am 100% risk free?

Hello again,

Yes-- 100% risk free-- try not to worry so much on this issue!! I recommend safe sex practice, no hazardous activity such as drug use of course. Finally I repeat my recommendation that you consider asking about receiving the preventative Hep B series. I think that this would add some peace of mind for you!

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc just want your opinion , i am buying paper towels sealed in a bag is that considered clean and sterile i know stupid question but i like to know your view

Hello again,

I see nothing wrong with buying a product such as this if it helps you to have better peace of mind. Paper towels would not really place you at risk for hepatitis B or C but sterilized paper towels may help to prevent other potential ( low level hazards) such as atypical fungal infections for example...

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so paper towels sealed in a bag considered sterilized?

Hello again,

No not generally-- the typical paper towel in plastic that you get in the grocery store would be considered CLEAN but NOT STERILE!! We could not use them in open surgery for example... They do not rise to that standard. I thought that you had perhaps purchased a product that advertised special cleaning or sterilized procedure....

I hope that this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok let me tell you what on my mind the paper towel accidentally touched the head of my penis any risks here

Hello again,There is no risk on that -- NO... A paper towel would not place you at any risk with that type if contact. It is the same as toilet paper in that regard for example. The making of these paper products would in the process put these materials though extremely high temperatures for example. As I noted they are considered clean ( but are not guaranteed sterile) for example you may purchase gauze in large packets that are considered clean but STERILE is a higher standard---- gauze individually wrapped with a thicker sealed wrapping and this after an autoclave type treatment. You do not need this degree of treatment for everyday common use!!! The everyday use of toilet paper or paper towels will not cause you any infection!!I hope this helps to clarify the difference! The botXXXXX XXXXXne here is that the type of contact that you describe would NOT place you at any risk however!!Best regards,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

something else came up and i have 2 question for you

1 i bought tooth pace that have a cap and to open it you pull it so it is not really sealed not like other one that have screw top and this tooth pace came in a sealed box so i wounder if any risk contamination to hepatitis

2i used a public phone so my ear come in contact and when i get home i wash my ear but i do forget to wash so when i go to sleep, my dirty ear come in contact with my pillow case so when i turn my head my lips come in contact with the pillow case were my dirty ear touched so what i am afraid of is when i get up in the morning and eat or drink i may swallows some contamination from the public phone so is there any risks

Hello again,

What you describe would be common series if passive transfers ( in regard to the phone- ear- etc..) this would not be a risk at all for hep B or C. It would be very low risk for bacteria as well.

The type of toothpaste top would not place you at risk either.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have futher questions.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the public phone will be only low risk for bacteria but not hepatitis?

Hello again,

Right a public phone would be higher risk to spread certain easily communicable disease but hepatitis B or C is not that type of infection. You might well catch a cold (adenovirus for example ) or a sore throat or even a sinus infection or bronchitis infection ( pneumococcus, strep, hemophilus bacteria) but not hep B or hep C. They are not spread really in this fashion.

I hope that this helps, let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is sharing bottle of water a risk for hep c,b?

Hello again,

No, not really risk for those infections with a shared bottle of water. Some infection such as common cold might be spread in that way though . It is not a risk for Hep B or C in this way however..

I hope this helps. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it safe seating with bear thighs on a public toilet + what when the head of my penis touch the inner toilet , it does accidentally happens to me any risks?

Hello again,

Many people worry about this issue.. You may always use one of the paper covers if you wish.. could carry small packet of sterile wipes with you perhaps.. the risk associated with any transmission here would be low but perhaps not absolute zero. It would not be risk with regard to HEP B or C though... if a person had sore or infection of the skin then the bacteria may be transferred to your skin for example...

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks i was just worried about hep b,c

Hi again!

You are welcome.... I thought that Hep B or C was your main concern there. The situation would not place you at risk for these.

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i pricked my self on a sharp plastic while opening vegetable container i bled a little similar to paper cut and you gave me an answer about this from previous similar incident but what if someone before me pricked their finger on the spot were i did

will i be at risk for hep,b,c?

Hello again,

If you pricked your finger on a sharp piece of plastic a short time following a similar incident by someone else then the double exposure could produce risk -- yes but keep in mind that this scenario would be VERY VERY unlikely to be the case!!

If you were a health care worker and injured yourself on a used needle then this would be high risk. The random sharp plastic would be very low risk for such a sequence of events however....

I hope this is helpful for you! I do not think that you should worry about the plastic point injury with regard to hepatitis though. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why this scenario would be very unlikely to be the case

Hello again,

Well it is unlikely because if you think of all the rough surfaces and sharp points in our environment there are thousands of potential injury causes within a short distance to any individual.... It is unlikely to have repeat injuries on most potential sharp points or edges for example. There are exceptions as there could be something such as a knife used by two cooks in a kitchen for example . The situation that you describe did not sound to me that the piece that injured you would have been likely to be the source of multiple puncture wounds.

Also most cases of hep b or c diagnosed will be able to be traced to the source of infection. This would not be the case if these diseases were that easily transmitted in such a random manner....

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you may answered my question before but i dont remember , yesterday i shook hand with someone and he touched my nick or a healing cut on my hand my nick looks reddish but not bleeding any risks for hep,c,b?

i could not see if he had any open cuts on his hands

Hello again,

No,the key in this situation would be a healing cut. It would be closed and not have open bleeding tissue that would be exposed. You would not be at risk for Hep B or C in this situation.

I hope this is helpful for you. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok my nick still look reddish and it is not a scab ,

should i be worried about hep ,b,c?

Hello again,

No you should not be worried about Hep B or C. The wound does not have to have an obvious built up external scab to be relatively closed , dry and safe.

I hope this helps. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i notice a funny taste on my lips yesterday at home no clue what it is i had no contact with any body any risks for hep b,c i know there was no blood involve still like to hear your view

Hello again,

No the funny taste in your mouth would not be an expected symptom of Hep B or Hep C. I think you need not worry about this being the case .

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Take Care!!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good afternoon doc i bruised my finger yesterday how ever no bleeding my skin looked intact except i see blood underneath my skin is this considered intact skin or open cut ?

Hello again,

What you describe would be considered a closed wound ( not open) this would not be risk for contracting hepatitis.

I hope this helps! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you say the skin still intact?

Hello again,

Yes the skin would still be intact.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks what about a blister that did not burst is the skin still considered intact

Hello again,

Yes as long as the blister is closed then the skin is intact. It could burst and then it would become an open wound. If that should happen then apply an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin and keep it covered with a dry bandage. If a bandage should become wet then you need to change it.

I hope that this helps! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are the outer lips considered mucus membranes i am asking because my lips came in contact with a soup container i bought in a store were some one else could touched this container in the same spot were my lips touched so i need to know if the lips are mucus membranes or do lips have protective skin as long my lips dont brake,

and is the mucus membranes are on the inner side of my lips facing my teeth?

worried about hep c,b with this exposure i described

Hello!
Yes, you are right. The mucus membranes constitute the inner aspect if the lips . The wet part in other words. The outer aspect of the Kaye's would be protected. This is skin.

I hope this helps. Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the outer lips are protected from any contact as long my lips skin are intact?

Hello again,

Sorry for any delay but I have been offline most if Sunday ...

Yes your outer lips would be protected so long as the skin is intact.

Let me know if your have further questions.

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i red that lips have 6 layer of skin compare to other places on the body there are 16 layer of skin so lips skin still can protected you from contacts as long my lips are intact

Hello!

Yes you should be fine. Your lips are intact so you should have zero risk with regard to hepatitis.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further points to discuss.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a bad cut on my back it's swollen and red i keep opening it while i put a shirt on or while lying on my back what can i do it's been swollen for a while now and it's still not healing properly what can i do

Hello!

I hope that you can get help in dressing the wound. Wash gently with soap and water. Apply Neosporin ointment. ( triple antibiotic ointment is fine too) cover with bandage( this MUST stay dry) change teice a day if you are able. You may benefit to see your doctor and have it checked. You may need antibiotic

I hope this helps! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cant go to a doctor because no insurance , i decided to put aloe vera and a bandage

i dont want to use triple antibiotics because it contains neomycin

riple antibiotics since they contain neomycin,
Hello!

Ok - well I think that if you pick up some Neosporin that help reduce risk of infection. Keep bandage dry . DO NOT USE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE( many people do but is too harder for a wound---it kills bacteria but kills any living cells that it may come into contact with)

I hope that it heals well for you. Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok got Neosporin also i got nicked i think it was broken glass it was very little so not sure it was a glass and bled a little it happened at home ,i leave by my self should i be worried about hep c,b?

Hello!

No if you live by yourself then there would be no reason for this virus to live in your home really. I think that do not need to worry!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good morning the Neosporin works my wound is getting better thanks doc

i was getting really worried the other day

i put more Neosporin this morning and a bandage

Hello again!

I'm glad to hear that the injury is healing well for you!

You are most welcome! Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i bought soup in a container and i drank the soup using the container , now my lips were touching an area that was not sealed and people in the store could touch that area and probably my mucus membranes in my lips touched that area that was not sealed any risks for hep b,c?

Hello again!

The risk with a soup can would be very low. It would not be expected to be in recent contact with another's blood or body fluids. So even though it may have contacted mucus membranes it is still a very low risk scenario.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you say very low risk so there is a chance i can get it?

Hello!

Your risk is essentially zero. It would not be worth testing !! You worry too much about this set of diseases. You may as well be worried about Ebola virus ( deadly this one but exceedingly rare--- maybe not the best analogy as Ebola is more rare but much deadlier but my point is that you have no benefit to worry about such low risk events...)

I hope this is helpful. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so can you say forget about it and sleep good tonight?

Hi again!!

YES, absolutely!! Forget about it and sleep well!! Your odds of contracting Hep B or C would be comparable to winning the lottery twice in the next year!! So sleep well!!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi doc you did answered me but i just want reassurance about this because it is happening periodically , at home

i get pricked accidentally while i woke bare foot or cleaning house most likely it's glass and i do bleed a little should i be concern about hep,b,c exposure?, i live alone and should i worry about people touching these bottles that i broke at home in the store before i purchased , what i am worried about is that the hep exposure could transfer to me when i pricked my self

Hello again,

No I do not think that you should be at significant risk while cleaning at home. You would not be expected to have this virus living on the floor or surfaces at home. You may always increase your sense of safety by wearing socks or shoes with cleaning activities though..

Still extremely low risk though...

I hope this helps. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just get worried when you say extremely low risk

it is not 0 risk

Hello again,

Ahhh me!! You do take things so very literal. Common sense here is that the risk would be on the same order as winning the lottery! Very low risk... perhaps not as zero as walking on the moon but you need NOT WORRY here!!

I hope this helps! let me know if you have further questions or discussion. Take Care!

Anthony bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

good morning doc i have an oozing cut still looks wet not bleeding, and it came in contact with a box that fedex delivered to me weeks ago so worst scenario if there was any hep b,c on the box it could not survive any more am i right? and in general let me know if there is any risk with the incident i described

Hello again,

You are right that the scenario that you describe is not a risk for hep B or C. I hope that you take care of the cut at least with an antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin though and keep an eye on it. This type of skin injury would be at some risk for developing a bacterial infection but not hep Bor C.

I hope this helps. Take care of yourself! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

quick question my mouth guard fell on the floor in my apt{i woke bare foot in my apt} i wounder if there is any worries for hep b,c i put my mouth guard in ammonia than when i get home i will wash it with soap than i will put it in my mouth when i go to bed so will it be safe to put it in my mouth guard after i washed it or should i get a new one and any risks to hep,c,b

Hello!

I think that your safeguards to wash the myth guard in ammonia and later soap and water are adequate to protect you. With these measures you should have no worry of risk of Hep B or C.

I hope this helps. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about my wound that you said i should get Neosporin it's healed a little but it is still bulky and red now this piece of skin is hanging only part of it is connected to my skin it does not hurt any more and it feels itchy sometimes,a sign of healing and i notice i see it's still bleeding , because i work in nyc subway very hot and humid there, that when i see bleeding so what is going on? can i remove the hanging skin or wait until it fulls?

Hello!

Without being able to see the injury and the skin flap I would hesitate to tell you to pull it off. I fear that it might extend the wound and increase bleeding. I would continue the Neosporin and keep it covered with DRY bandage. The DRY is very important if it becomes wet then take it off...

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need further assist. Take care!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think you answered me before but dont remember the details about paper money i touched my wound the one you told me to put neosporin while it was bleeding and before hand i was counting money so my finger that touched the wound while it was bleeding and had blood on my finger, so the finger came in contact with paper money before are there any risks for hep c,b

Hello!

Well if actively bleeding and contact with money this would still be very very low risk for exposure to Hep B or C. Keep in mind that people have minor injuries such as this all the time with similar contacts to materials or surfaces handled by the public. These injuries are not producing cases of Hep B or C. It would not be likely at all that you would contract Hep B or C in such a situation. Sexual contact, accidental needle sticks and handling body fluids are high risk situations. A fight between two people with broken skin could be ( fist with broken skin due to teeth). What you describe is extremely low risk however. Nobody would advise that you be tested due to this exposure due to the low risk. You have an unusual fear specific to Hep B and C...

I hope that this is helpful. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks doc!! so not to worry about this and forget about paper money incident? by the way that was indirect contact to the money so it could be 0 risk?

Hi agaain,

Right it is best not to worry abouy it

Take care,

Anthony Btay MF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am applying Neosporin daily and i see my wound is smaller ,is this a sign of recovery?

Hi again,

Yes it should appear to get smaller as it heals!

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i bought a lollipop and wrapper on the lollipop was kind of loose i ate the lollipop and thinking because the wrapper was loose probably someone had access to this lollipop and risks here for hep c,b

Hello again,

No I don't think that you are at risk. It does not make sense to me that someone would loosen a lollipop , take a few licks and put it back. I suspect that it was just loosely wrapped... I was not there of course but that is all that I think is likely to be the case. Again I feel that you over-think these things and let your fear and worry get the better of you...

I think you are fine!! Let me know if I may be of further assist! This thread is getting long.. you may need to start a new one if many further questions...

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you said" you may need to start a new one if many further questions..".

so i should stop asking you any more questions and asking a different DR?

Hello again,

You are welcome to continue to ask me questions but by about 50 questions and answers the computer slows and slows and begins to jam up because the file gets so big. It kind of jams up the works. You are welcome to continue to ask me questions. You may go to my page on the site>> http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-anthonybraymd/ This page would allow you to type your question specifically to me. Currently the thread is still at about 40 Q and A's but I was noticing it was getting long.. they will not function indefinitely...

That's all!!

Best Regards!!

Anthony Bray MD