commissure
commissure, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Experienced and Compassionate Physician Trained in NYC Ready to Help.
41363181

I have abdominal pain and swelling what is wrong with me? I

Customer Question

I have abdominal pain and swelling what is wrong with me? I had severe and intense sharp abdominal (under navel) pain immediately following intercourse 48 hours ago. I could do nothing more than lay on the floor in a sort of half fetal position. Pain so bad it was hard to breath, move or talk. My mouth became instantly dry, extreme thirst with it.I was drenched with sweat. Then there was a burning feeling in my chest, nauseous, and i became dizzy and blacking out sort of, do not know how else to explain it.
Called 911, was barely responsive to paramedics i think because the pain was so bad. Straightening up, walking, sitting up, getting dressed was impossible without help and unbearable. (recall from memory) BP 130/60 or 140/60? HR 100, OXYGEN 100 percent, BLOODSUGAR 130, TEMP 96.9. Bouts of shaking, chills. Roughly 20 mins later At hospital, pain moved up filling entire abdomen. During pelvic exam all pelvis tender to touch, especially a hard spot to right of navel. 2 doses of morphine game me very little relief, urine and ct checked out fine, with note that ct showed a lot of free fluid in abdomen. released with no diagnosis and little pain relief (very sore just to walk)
Now 48 hours later Constant pain persists, worse when moving, am on Vicodin around the clock, more than prescribed dosages. Abdomen very swollen mostly lower. Have gas pressure on rectum Occasional "purring" feeling in left side chest under breast, occas. sharp pains throughout. (maybe just extra alert and sensitive to pains?)
These episodes started a year and a half ago and are getting aggressively worse each time. 2 nights ago was worst pain of my life. Also this happened 5 days prior only pain eased up greatly after 2 hours and only mild soreness afterwards in comparison to now. Also at that time i had pressure on rectum and vagina.
HISTORY. Abnormal menstruation started 3-4 months ago. Went from 30 day cycles to 45. So late periods, light bleeding one month then week later normal period. NOT pregnant, although i thought i was. Have had many tests, 4 CT'S, one last night with contrast dye, 2 ultrasounds, endosocpy, colonoscopy, xrays, 5 day hospitalization with no diagnosis and antibiotic treatment and numorous other times. I could go on, but what do you think? Please help me, seen many Dr.s with no avail. Multiple ER trips, they started thinking i am crazy or drug seeking. I am scared the next episode since they always get worse , might kill me or just have worse consequences ??? Should i be worried?
Category: Health
Expert:  commissure replied 1 year ago.

DrDavid :

This is Dr. David

DrDavid :

you should not be having lots of free fluid in your abdomen.

DrDavid :

you need to see a gyn doctor or surgeon to sample some of the fluid out of your abdomen to see what cells are seen.

DrDavid :

you could be having a pelvic inflammatory disease from an infection going up from the vagina.

DrDavid :

or this could be endometriosis.

DrDavid :

or a peritonitis inflammation of the peritoneal lining of the abdomen.

DrDavid :

lots of free fluid within the abdomen is never a normal thing.

DrDavid :

you need to have some of this fluid sampled from your abdomen to see what cells they cell. this is called paracentesis.

Customer :

I am confused why an ER Doctor would see this and say that anyone could have free fluid inside abdomen, and that it not necessarily mean anything?

Customer :

Also i am about 12 days away from starting menstrual, according to my now usual cycles which are 45 days, and i thought endometriosis was surrounding that, like during or right before?

DrDavid : Lots of peritoneal fluid and abdominal pain is not normal
DrDavid : we don't use the timing of your periods to look for endometriosis or not
DrDavid : You should get a paracentesis to drain and examine the fluid
DrDavid : to make surf you don't have an ovarian cancer
DrDavid : or something else
Customer :

What I want to know is do you have any idea what was happenning to me that night paramedics came, the extreme pain and thirst, dry mouth, profuse sweating, unresponsive?

Customer :

nausea, burning chest...?

Customer :

pulsating in abdomen now..

DrDavid : Could have been a small blood clot
DrDavid : or twisted bowel
Customer :

Also i am wondering why the ER did not do more, do you know? How can they just leave me in so much pain, over the weekend and having to wait possibly a week to see my Dr. to have these procedures done? isn't excuciating pain an emergency given i am taking a ton of pain killers just to deal?

Customer :

a small blood clot where?

DrDavid : with excess fluid in your abdomen you are at increased risk for twisted bowel loops
DrDavid : Blood clot in your abdominal mesentary arteries
DrDavid : That is wrong
DrDavid : probably because you don't have insurance
Customer :

i do have insurance

Customer :

They said a twisted bowel would show up on a cat scan

DrDavid : Blood clot would not show up
Customer :

Nuse at hospital said it was too rare

Customer :

Charge nurse* said to come back in if pain hasnt stopped also...

Customer :

Said ER cant do much though, and doubts i would have blood clot, but that night i really felt like i was dying, and blacked out that seems serious.

DrDavid : And you pain hasn't stopped correct?
Customer :

could it be my heart? how do i get the ER to help me if i go back in?

Customer :

has not stopped...changed a bit but constant

DrDavid : They should automatically do troponin blood test to check the heart
Customer :

Worse this morning, shifting back into located in pelvic region so much pressure on bladder rectum, feels like bowling ball sitting in low abdomen

Customer :

they did not test for that...

DrDavid : They should
DrDavid : You should go back to the ER
Customer :

list of completed tests: urine dipstick poct, hcg urine poct, cbc with differential, cbcd component, automated 5 part differential with absolutes...they go 7 more, do these help you?

Customer :

the dr didnt even adress burning chest pain or anything with my heart.

DrDavid : They should check a troponin level
DrDavid : d dimer to check for blood clots
DrDavid : c reactive protein to check blood vessel inflammation
Customer :

okay i can ask them to do those..

Customer :

do you think maybe the source is abdominal or heart?

Customer :

anything stick out to you mostly?

Customer :

I am so scared, do i just demand proper attention from them?

DrDavid : Yes demand the above blood tests
Customer :

anything else to cover everything? before i go back to ER?

Customer :

ultrasound...or any other tests?

Customer :

can i tell them another dr. has suggested these?

DrDavid : Ultrasound wouldn't help too much
DrDavid : you might benefit from an abdominal angiogram to check for blood clots
DrDavid : but d dimer blood test would be better first step to check for blood clot
Customer :

Here at er now. They seem too focused on obgyn aaspects and they won't listen to me. They keep saying tbey are just an er, and might do an ultasound. :-( you really think it could be blood clot that causing all my symptoms?

DrDavid :

well d dimer test is easy enough to do.

DrDavid :

and they are an ER and they are suppose to rule out serious things like blood clots.

DrDavid :

they are doing to do an ultrasound and see the fluid again.

DrDavid :

what they should do is do an CA-125 blood test to check for possible peritonitis and ovarian cancer.

Customer :

I am so distraught. They only repeated 7 of the blood tests done 2 days prior, no ultrasound or anything. they consulted with obgyn by phone deciding that all that could be done was for me to have laproscopy done 2 weeks from now by ob. Both dr.s first and shift change dr wouldn't listen to me, dismissed chest pain by saying it was reflux with no testing.

DrDavid :

I am sorry you had a bad experience at the ER.

DrDavid :

are you going to have the laproscopy abdominal surgery done in 2 weeks?

DrDavid :

that might be a good idea to try to find out why you are having pain.

Customer :

It was a nightmare, as soon as i challenged the dr. out of frustartation as they justy wanted to discharge me, he became greatly offended because i used one cuss word while explaining my situation, not directed AT him, i know it was wrong, but i was in so much pain. He said he would give me another dose of dilaudid and send me with vicodin script, then became sarcastic when i mentioned the chest symptoms saying i was too young for it and had no family history?? which in fact i do have history in family..I asked him why the need for him to be rude to me, he then said i would be discharged immediately, he called security on me to escort me out and have me leave immediately, they refused to give me the diaudid or pain meds to take home and would not give me reason why. Was bent over walking out, in so much pain and crying. I DO NOT know where to go for help! i am so confused? they did not even consider this to be GI related, or check my heart or do anything different. do you know why they treated me this way? what can i do? I am begging you, i didnt even get a chance to ask the Dr. to consider what you have said..i am being treated like a crazy person, belive me i am sweet, and very stable

Customer :

The only problem is it will be with my obgyn and i believe he is only looking at reproductive organs.

Customer :

the surgery i mean**

Customer :

thank you for your sympathy, sorry for the long response

DrDavid :

some doctors don't like to be challenged or to have to think outside of the box.

DrDavid :

and some doctors have a serious god complex and think they are god.

DrDavid :

it would be best to have a general surgeon in with you to be part of the exploratory laparotomy.

DrDavid :

it you have been having a hard time getting doctors to try to help you out.

DrDavid :

your doctors should not have kicked you out of the hospital like that.

DrDavid :

are you able to go to a different hospital in the area?

Customer :

There are other hospitals

Customer :

do i ask my obgyn to bring a general surgeon on during surgery or is that my job to find one?

DrDavid :

I'm not sure how your obgyn doctor will feel about you asking for things.

DrDavid :

it seems like your doctors have not taken kindly to his so far.

Customer :

do you know if the hospital was "allowed" to treat me llike that? for no legitimate reason, and to refuse me pain medication and prescription when their plan was to until i offended dr??

Customer :

my obgyn is nnice, the 2nd ER dr was the problem, but yes a lot of Dr.s i have encountered dont like a young woman advocateing for her own health...

Customer :

i am afraid i am slowly dying and no one is helping me or will care if i live a life of excruciating pain or die from it

DrDavid :

yes, hospitals can do that.

Customer :

i appreciate your suggestions and want to follow them but any idea how to kindly (without offending) aask a dr. to listen to me?

DrDavid :

they can discharge patients when they feel patients are not being cooperative.

Customer :

but withhold medications? when i was not being uncooperative?

DrDavid :

if your obgyn doctor is nice, you can ask him directly how he feels about having a general surgeon in on the surgery as well.

DrDavid :

he may not mind at all.

DrDavid :

I wasn't there.

DrDavid :

I did not say you were uncooperative.

DrDavid :

I said that if the doctors there in the hospital felt that you were not being cooperative, they can discharge patients for non compliance.

DrDavid :

it is part of their god complex thing again.

Customer :

oh, wow that is unfair.

Customer :

guess i shouldnt be surprised at all. i like your idea, i will ask if he doesnt mind a general surgeon being there

Customer :

Today i had sharp stabbing unbearable pain for just a moment before a bm, does thisbring anything to mind as far as a cause?

Customer :

anything more*

DrDavid :

hard to know.

DrDavid :

could be scar tissue in the abdomen or from the excessive ascities fluid

DrDavid :

get a copy of your CT scan report.

DrDavid :

I would be interested in reading the report.

Customer :

excellent, i will get that asap.

DrDavid :

I have to go to bed soon.

DrDavid :

I feel exhausted.

DrDavid :

I will talk to you later?

Customer :

i really dont think it showed much, i think i need new tests, ones not performed, i wish my life wasnt in the hands of these dr.s wish patients could advocate for themselves more

DrDavid :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box.

Customer :

oh, i can, does this mean no more chat?

DrDavid :

not for now.

DrDavid :

I have to sleep

DrDavid :

night.

Customer :

good night

Customer :

thank you

Customer :

youre very appreciated :)

DrDavid :

if done please leave

DrDavid :

+++ positive feedback below

DrDavid :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer :

just a couple more things. I got an ultrasound at the hospital. While the lady performed the transvaginal I screeched in pain amd she said when I did that she was pushing on my right ovary (or in that area). When the dr. Told me my results she said the test was negative but that they saw a number of cysts on ovaries. She said it didn't conclude to anything and wasn't causing my pain

Customer :

I asked her if the cysts were smaller or large and I think she said they were not very small. I couldn't understand why they couldn't conclude anything from seeing this. Also when she had the ultrasoumd results sent to my dr.s office, they read the report and said it read inconclusive. Logically when I felt pain when the ultrasound tech pushed on that area it seems to me this would be an indication of the cysts/ovaries being the cause? What do you think?

Customer :

Also later last night after the hospital I vomitted and got the chills very badly. The nausea has not stopped. I am mostly unable to eat as it causes a lot of discomfort. When I woke up this morning the pain in my lower pelvis was unbearable and starting to feel my bm caused such sharp sudden bowel and all over pain I couldn't breathe. Urination as well has become very painful unless I have large amounts of painkillers in my system. So at this point drinking (water mostly) and ng

Customer :

And eating makes me feel sick and going to the bathroom is unbearable? I am not living!! I have had to have a sitter for a week because I can't take care of my daughter. My obgyn says to just continue the painkillers (which aren't working except in large doses) and wait until laprascopy 2 weeks from now. Also go to ER if pain gets worse. !!??? This just does not seem reasonable. What can I do? I called GI waiting to hear if I can get in sooner than 3weeks from now.

DrDavid :

yes, I agree.

DrDavid :

ovarian cysts can cause pain and tenderness and the ultrasound exam is telling

DrDavid :

you know the saying, the squeeky wheel gets the oil.

DrDavid :

I think you should just keep going back to the ER and be the squeeky wheel.

DrDavid :

Customer :

Hi Dr. I disagree with the Squeaky wheel gets the grease in this case, it does not apply to going to ERs. I used to think so but have now learned that if you are in pain going over and over will make it so you wont be treated for pain because to them you are now a drug addict drug seeking, or a hypochondriac. My repeat visits have now caused medical teams to treat me very badly and especially not do anything to help or diagnose me. I'm surprised i would get this advise from a Dr.?

Customer :

My obgyn performed the laparoscopy and found the cysts and they are filled with blood i think. He is becoming impatient with me because i have called wanting to get information on how my surgery went, what they found and treatment etc, and i wasnt taking waiting a week and a half for that afterward as an answer. Anyhow..I am growing more concerned with the continuing symptoms i have that do not seem to be caused by the cysts, and i am not getting the attention i believe i deserve by my Dr.s. The symptoms i want to ask about are as follows:

Customer :

My heart rate seems to be steadily now over 100 bpm at rest. usually about 110-120. Within days of recovery from surgery, after climbing the 2 flights of stairs back home, my heart was pounding, i became very dizzy and light headed with a slight ache in my chest. I measured my HR and it was 168-175, it stayed high even after rest, even walking to the next room i had the same symptoms. This is slow moving, mild exertion when it happens. A nurse by phone told me i should call 911, i went to hospital, they ran tests and once again all negative. Can you help me please? I am very worried about these palpitations and high HR (also flip flop skipped beat feeling in chest). The pain meds i am on interestingly say they will decrease heart rate etc. Please, do you think i am alright? ( i think i notice these symptoms a little more after eating, i need to keep better track)