Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I am a 40 year old woman. I had an unexplained bruise appear

I am a 40 year old woman. I had an unexplained bruise appear on my forearm yesterday. It is about a half dollar coin size, round appears to maybe a little raised?, and is slightly tender to the touch. I noticedthat I had some blood after I urinated this morning and there is blood in my underwear but just a little. I do not take medications regularly but take Excedrine when I get a headache. I was on Phentermine but went off of that several weeks ago. My period ended 7 days ago. The only thing I noticed is that it feels like the gland on the left side of my neck is sore too. Is this something to worry about or needs attention? I do have Chiari Malformation 1 but it was diagnosed on accident and I don't have any symptoms except for stiff neck. I've never been treated for it. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

Is the bruise enlarging?

Customer:

No. It doesn't seem to be. I drew a circle around it last night and its about the same size.

Dr. Saha :

Did you have blood with every urination?

Customer:

I slept really late this morning. My husband left for work early and I remember him leaving but them I didn't wake up till noon. I love to sleep in, but I was completely out till noon which I think is strange but to answer your questions. I only have urinated one time and that's when I noticed it. I can go try again.

Dr. Saha :

Did you have any trauma?

Customer:

No. Not that I remember that's why it was strange. I can send a picture but I don't know how good it is

Dr. Saha :

You can try to send it by attaching to clip in tool bar.

Customer:

ok.

Bruise May 4, 2013
Full Size Image

Customer:

In case you need to know. I'm petite, 5feet about 115lbs.

Dr. Saha :

I have got it. It is a bit hazy. Did you notice any bite mark there?

Customer:

no bite mark. I will try to get another. It's my right forearm and i'm right handed so it's hard to get a good shot.

Dr. Saha :

Ok

Customer:

the light green line is where i drew around it.

Dr. Saha :

It is more clear now.

Dr. Saha :

How is the pain now?

Customer:

it doesn't hurt unless I press or bump it and it is only mildly tender.

Dr. Saha :

Sometimes, bruise can occur from from unexplained cause.

Dr. Saha :

It can occur from unnoticed trauma, bite but when there is blood with urine or in the underwear, you need to be careful.

Dr. Saha :

I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

Dr. Saha :

Doctor can take platelet, blood counts, coagulation studies.

Customer:

one more thing that I just thought about that is probably unrelated but over a week ago I got bit by something (at least thats what they think but was never determined- lymes test came back negative) on the back of my neck at my hairline. They treated it as a skin infection with a strong antibiotic. I'm gonna grab the bottle now. I took the meds for about 4 of the 7 days because it made me sooooo nasueaus.

Dr. Saha :

Sometimes infection, allergy, auto immune reactions can be factors.

Customer:

If there is no more blood the next time I urinate should I still go to the doctor? Is this something that warrants a trip to the ER or can it wait till Monday.

Customer:

Do I see my primary doctor? I don't need referrals with my insurance and I'd rather cut out an unnecessary trip to see him if he is only going to refer me to someone else.

Dr. Saha :

Even if there is no blood in urine, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

Customer:

and is the swollen gland related?

Customer:

and the fact that I slept till noon?

Dr. Saha :

If the blood in urine continues to appear, I would suggest to go to ER.

Dr. Saha :

Swollen gland can be related to it.

Dr. Saha :

An infection can cause the lymph node to enlarge.

Customer:

ok. last question. If i don't bleed at all anymore should I still go to the doctor on Monday?

Dr. Saha :
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Dr. Saha :

Yes. I feel you need to get it checked by doctor.

Dr. Saha :

You have developed a few new symptoms like swollen gland.

Dr. Saha :

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Wish your healthy life.
In case you need further help, let me know,

Dr Saha