Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have swelling on forearm near elbow and a little swelling

I have swelling on forearm near elbow and a little swelling on inside elbow above the crease. It's tender to touch the forearm bone near elbow. Could this be tendonitis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Tender swelling suggests bursitis.

mysticdoc :

Bursitis is the inflammation of the fluid sac around the elbow joint.

mysticdoc :

This commonly occurs from repeated pressure on the elbow like against the hard surface.

mysticdoc :

Ice pack application, elbow splint, NSAIDs like ibuprofen will be helpful with the recovery which may take a week or longer.

mysticdoc :

In some cases, aspiration of the fluid and steroid injection help to resolve the condition if the above measures do not help.

mysticdoc :

Please also see your doctor for clinical evaluation.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer:

I thought bursitis would have a more protruding golf ball size lump? I can tell you when I turn my head all the way to the left, I can feel a little pain in my elbow. This is my left elbow by the way.

mysticdoc :

Do you notice the swelling outside the elbow joint right?

mysticdoc :

and is it soft?

Customer:

The elbow joint itself does not hurt or have swelling. All the swelling is if I hold my arm out straight, it's at the top forearm directly across the elbow and a little swelling inside above elbow crease. It is soft not hard. Does not feel like a lump more like just swelling. If I turn my hand outward I feel a little tenderness at the elbow area.

mysticdoc :

Bursitis is a soft swelling due to the fluid collection.

mysticdoc :

This is bursitis as I suggested above.

mysticdoc :

Lump is not typical with bursitis.

mysticdoc :

Due to the inflammation the pain is felt with neck movement.

mysticdoc :

The above measures should help for the time being.

Customer:

I have a band on it now just below the crease. I will continue to ice it and take Advil. I am trying not to use my left arm for any lifting. How long can bursitis last?

mysticdoc :

usually a week.

mysticdoc :

Also a elbow splint can be used.

mysticdoc :

Avoid lifting, rest the area as much as possible.

Customer:

I feel little spasms sometimes. I have had this for 2 weeks already. Thank you for chatting with me.

mysticdoc :

Ok in that case, you should see your doctor or an orthopedic specialist for further evaluation.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

This is the link to my profile:

Customer:

I'm one of those that this the worst, like bone cancer and am just afraid to go.

mysticdoc :

no this is not bone cancer since the swelling is soft.

mysticdoc :

Bone cancer will be hard swelling that too not common.

Customer:

I can defintely push the swelling in.

mysticdoc :

yes that suggests bursitis or fluid.

mysticdoc :

you cannot push a bone in.

Customer:

Is it normal to have the ulna bone near elbow be a little sensitive with bursitis?

mysticdoc :

yes it is

mysticdoc :

inflammation affects the whole area

Customer:

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

best wishes

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD