Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, I am 44 year old female in good health and have terrible

Hello, I am 44 year old female in good health and have terrible cramping on top of both feeet and all of my toes combined with fascitis in both feet. Sometimes i get heel pain and burning, but mostly cramping. I have been battling this for about 5 years now.

I am suffering throughout the day and all throughout the night (which is the worst!). Both feet will cramp even if I move my toes even the slightest bit. The tendons on the top of my feet contract and set off my whole foot into a contracted mess of the worst pain imaginable. I have to leap out of bed and stand to roll my feet around and start walking for any kind of relief. I wake up many times a night to apply cream and rub out cramps in my feet (and some times cramps that have climed up the side of my legs) or eat many homeopathic cramp pills.

I have tried everything. Many kinds and doses of Magnesium ( I am now on 1000 Mgs a day), Calcium, Potassium, Homeopathic remedies, expensive orthotics, inexpensive ones, special shoes, even going barefoot. The results are the same.

The medications I am on currently are Topamax (150'mg's), and BC.

I desperately need relief from this as it affects every aspect of my life at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Basic Lab work looks normal. No podiatrist has been seen at this point.

Thank you very much.
Hi--sorry to hear about your problem. Have you had any testing like nerve conduction studies or MRI's?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, I have had no nerve conduction studies or MRI's on my feet.
One thing to also mention is that it seems my feet/tendons in a "resting" position", like legs laying on a bed, are strained. You can see all of my tendons on the top of my feet. If feels better, like I'm giving the tendons a break, if I push on the bottom, ball of my foot and he tendons disppear. Hope that makes sense.

Do the use Botox in feet? I was even thinking that could provide relief.
This is debilitating.
Thank you again for takin the time to help.
I'll try to help with all my thoughts here but can I ask why you take the Topamax and have you at least discussed this problem with a doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I take Topamax due to Chronic migraines. I have discussed with my primary doctor and he recommended magnesium. It helped a little, but then stopped working. At first, my toes cramping was the issues. It has progressed to all of this.
OK--any problem with you back or with any other areas besides your feet like other joints?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, thank goodness. Although my identical twin has been diagnosed with fibro.
OK--and we can continue after this if you need. I would get an MRI of you lumbar spine to look for disk problems and screen you for autoimmune disorders like lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica. I would also consider restless leg syndrome and that could be treated with a medication called Requip. Finally, although I don't think this is just a chronic tendinosis problem with your feet, I would have a podiatrist take a look here.