Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I bumped my head on a window sill about 4 cm above my left

I bumped my head on a window sill about 4 cm above my left ear. My husband playfully picked me up and tripped onto the couch while holding me. His head slightly collided with the right side of my face causing my left side of the head to bump into the window sill. I iced it and I feel slight pain when I apply pressure. I also feel a tiny bit of pressure inside my left ear, but no pain there. There is also a dull pain that comes and goes around my left jaw, right where the hinge is. I'm nervous about temporal lobe injuries and the extent of them. Does this qualify as one and does it require a trip to the ER. Thanks?

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.
Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to find an answer for you.

As per standard guidelines every case of head injury or trauma should be evaluated at earliest in ER.

A comprehensive clinical examination aided by tests like X-ray/CT of the skull help rule out any serious possibility like a fracture (which can be a small hairline fracture) as well as intra cranial bleed (a slow organizing hematoma which can give serious symptoms few hours after the impact).

So ruling out any such possibility will put your mind at ease and will also help direct further management plan.

So yes, ER is the place where you should be right now.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards