Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I have a sticky heart valve. they say I should have it replaced

I have a sticky heart valve. they say I should have it replaced with a cows valve, My question is what would be the consequence If I don't? Bill
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

Is it aortic valve?

Dr. Saha :

When have you been diagnosed with it?

Customer:

Yes 2 weeks ago

Dr. Saha :

What are your symptoms now?

Customer:

I don't feel bad just don't have as much energy as I use to I had a minty stroke in Sept. of last year

Dr. Saha :

Aortic stenosis is a condition where the opening of the valve gets narrowed as the cusps get stuck together.

Dr. Saha :

So there would be difficulty in the ejection of blood from heart.

Dr. Saha :

Heart has to pump hard to send blood to different parts of the body.

Dr. Saha :

Less energy, tired feeling can be there.

Dr. Saha :

This can lead to failure of the heart.

Dr. Saha :

Less blood supply to brain can cause passing out or faint feeling.

Dr. Saha :

Pain in the chest can occur from less blood supply to heart.

Dr. Saha :

There can be irregular heart rate.

Dr. Saha :

In some cases infection may settle on the cusps.

Customer:

What about the replacement of the valve with cows valve?

Dr. Saha :

Different modes of treatment is applied.

Dr. Saha :

The valve can be dilated or stretched.

Dr. Saha :

It can be replaced as your doctor has suggested.

Dr. Saha :

Now a days, it can be done with catheter.

Dr. Saha :

This is less invasive & does not need big operation.

Customer:

A catheter?

Dr. Saha :

Catheter is thin tube. It is introduced through artery.

Customer:

But can the valve be replaced this way?

Dr. Saha :

I am attaching this link for details on this procedure

Dr. Saha :
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Dr. Saha :

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer:

If I'm not a high risk patient them I should have the open chest surgery?

Dr. Saha :

This particularly depends on the overall assessment by surgeon.

Dr. Saha :

Age is a factor in consideration.

Dr. Saha :

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer:

The VA I go to is the James A. Hailey In Tampa Fl. It's a teaching hospital for the University of South Fl. I just don't want them to do more than they have to. Thanks Bill

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience