Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I had unprotected sex with a women (not my wife) and Im not

I had unprotected sex with a women (not my wife) and I'm not only ashamed of myself but worried I might have picked up an STD. No symptoms yet, what should I do? Telling my wife is not an option.

When was this incident happened?

Any sores,bumps on penis?

Penile discharge?

Burning sensation and pain during urination?

Are you taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

It was only two nights ago but I'm driving myself crazy with anxiety. I don't have any symptoms and I'm not on any medication.

Otherwise, I'm fit and healthy.

Regards

Thanks for providing more information.

With any history of unprotected sex,risk for STD is present.

All STDs can be tested by 6 weeks of exposure, but precautionary tests can be preformed as early as few days after exposure.
However the timing for the tests depends on the type of STDs.
For Gonorrhea, Chlamydia, Trichomoniasis etc, the tests can be performed from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Herpes can be tested after 1 week of exposure and repeated again after 6 weeks.
HIV can be tested at 6 weeks and 3 months.

With one time unprotected sex,chances of HIV is 1 in 1000.
In most of the STDs,symptoms like Bumps or blisters on genitals,burning or pain during urination, Flu-like symptoms, including fever, chills, and aches,swelling and pain in genital area , unusual discharge present.

However sometimes STD like HPV shows no early symptoms as well.

If you don't develop any symptoms in next few weeks then chances of STD are less.

I suggest you to visit GUM clinic for STD profile for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr,

If I have contracted an STD can I infect anyone else during the incubation period? Also, will kissing my wife and kids be a problem??

Is the testing for STDs as early as 2 days after exposure accurate?

Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up.

It can be possible to transmit infection during incubation period to other person.

However generally in most,kissing doesn't cause STD, with only limited exceptions like Genital herpes is caused by herpes simplex, type 2 (HSV2). There also is HSV1, which causes cold sores in the mouth.

Occasionally, HSV2 can be transmitted to the mouth via oral sex and can then be transmitted to another person by kissing.

The other STD that is spread by skin-to-skin contact is HPV, but it is difficult to prove that there has been HPV spread to the oral cavity, but it also theoretically could be spread by this mechanism.

Kissing can rarely cause HIV,Chlamydia infection transmission.

If the persons kissing have never participated in oral sex, there would be no risk of STDs being transmitted by kissing, as this would be the only mechanism by which the germ can get to the oral cavity.

STD profile should be done at 2-6 weeks after the exposure to get accurate results.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thanks.

Will testing 2 days after exposure for chlamydia, gonorhea, trichomoniasis etc detect an infection if it's there?

You can go for NAAT test which can detect chlamydia, gonorrhea after 3 days and it is accurate.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.