Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I drank to many energy drinks, but want to sleep now, I was

I drank to many energy drinks, but want to sleep now, I was thinking more alcohol but I'm at 13 today & am usually stage 1 blood pressure without alcohol (got info from walmart). So was wondering what I should do to get to sleep safely tonight?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

What do you mean when you say that you are at 13 today?? 13 drinks already??

Anthony Bray MD :

I would not advsie alcohol to help you get to sleep.....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would say that you could try Benedryl which is over the counter..25 to 50mg would probably help you get to sleep...

Anthony Bray MD :

You could try Melatonin which is over the counter....

Anthony Bray MD :

If an ongoing issue with insomnia then you could consult your doctor about that....

Anthony Bray MD :

BTW if you drink much alcohol on a regular basis then this may contribute to the high blood pressure... (It is rebound effect >> pulse and BP may drop while you drink but the reverse effects would be true as the alcohol was wearing off...

Customer:

I do mean drinks a combination of vodka and beer.

Anthony Bray MD :

I see.... well as I said I would not advise that you push forward the amount of alcohol.. I would recommend that you try to moderate your intake from where it is...

Anthony Bray MD :

Alcohol may hurt sleep in the long run as well ... in the short run it may be sedating but the wearing off can have opposite effects... long term use does not benefit sleep

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you monitor your BP over time>> measure BP in seated position after 10 minutes rest... keep a record of several readings... an average of 10 to 15 readings is more accurate and meaningful than any single reading... you want your average to be 135/85 or less...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this is helpful for you! let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back wtih you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

thank you very much, I think the energy drinks affects are wearing off, so I don't think I'll need any help after all getting to sleep, wow my blood pressure is higher than that sober, I going to put a reminder on my phone to look into that tomorrow

Anthony Bray MD :

OK >> good luck to you! I hope that you get a good night's rest >> I know that insomnia is very frustrating...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that you do well with keeping your BP down as well. Remember to lower your salt/sodium intake and this would help....

Anthony Bray MD :

Take care>> Let me know if I may be of further help to you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

90% of the food I eat is free from work, booze might be easier to cut, goodnight

Anthony Bray MD :

OK >> Take care!!