Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Im a little confused about hair anatomy. Can Monobenzone

Customer Question

I'm a little confused about hair anatomy. Can Monobenzone permantently damage and change the part of the hair that determine hair texture (I think it is the follicles)? I applied Monobenzone to my scalp and hair and notice a texture change that is permanent. Can monobenzone permanently change and damage part of the hair that determines hair texture (such as, hair being curly or straight)?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Mono benzone does not cause permanent damage to the hair roots and texture.

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

I noticed a change when I applied it to my hair and it has not returned to normal

mysticdoc :

it should return to normal over next 3 to 4 months.

Customer :

Could it be a relaxer that permanent change follicles and roots?

Customer :

I use a relaxer as well.

mysticdoc :

possible.

mysticdoc :

but permanent damage unlikely

Customer :

If it is the relaxer will my hair texture return?

Customer :

Does the relaxer cause the hair to be permanently more curly? That is what I noticed.

mysticdoc :

it can make curly.

mysticdoc :

but permanent change unlikely.

Customer :

ok. Thank you for your help and answers.

Customer :

Bye.

Customer :

Does it come from leaving the relaxer on to long?

mysticdoc :

yes you should leave it too long.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor diagnosed me with having skin changes for 1mm white dots on my arms, stomach, and legs. What does skin changes mean? They just said my skin was changing, but it did not look like Vitiligo. What are skin changes and is there a medical term or medical condition name for skin changes or my skin is changing? Can these skin changes spread all over the body, similar to Vitiligo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My doctor diagnosed me with having skin changes for 1mm white dots on my arms, stomach, and legs. What does skin changes mean? They just said my skin was changing, but it did not look like Vitiligo. What are skin changes and is there a medical term or medical condition name for skin changes or my skin is changing? Can these skin changes spread all over the body, similar to Vitiligo? Or are my doctors telling me I have Vitiligo? I'm confused and cannot find anything on skin changes.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Vitiligo is a relatively common skin disease affecting about one out of every hundred people. With vitiligo, the body works to kill melanocytes (cells that give us our color) causing the skin to turn white in patches. This bleaching effect can also sometimes affect hair as well as mucous membranes inside the nose and mouth. Vitiligo affects both men and women regardless of skin color or ethnicity. Vitiligo can occur at any age, but most develop it before they turn twenty. It is not infectious. Meaning you cannot catch it from someone with vitiligo. Monobenzone is a depigmenting treatment for vitiligoIts but it's effects are unpredictable and may not lead to complete depigmentation and monobenzone is usually also the last resort for someone with vitiligo. Monobenzone creams appear to cause depigmentation by killing the skin’s melanocytes. However, later studies have shown that while it probably kills melanocytes in the epidermis, it has no effect on the follicular reservoir. Therefore, it is not unusual for spots of original color to return after a few years of good results. In vitiligo sufferers, monobenzone use may lead to pigment-free skin within 1 to 2 years. However, monobenzone has unpredictable effects, and even vitiligo sufferers being treated with monobenzone by their doctors have difficulty maintaining their even and white color. Spots of pigmentation may reappear after several years because of the follicular reservoirs that can produce melanin. Unlike skin lightening creams which only lighten the areas it is applied to, monobenzone applied anywhere on the body will lead to white patches at different areas. For example, if you applied monobenzone on your face, you could develop permanent white patches and streaks on your arms, legs and torso as well.

Often, someone without vitiligo who uses monobenzone will have to be treated by a doctor as a new ‘vitiligo’ patient as there exists no way yet to reverse the damage caused by monobezone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will rate your answer as soon as possible. May my doctors have been diagnosing me with Vitiligo? They said skin changes. I was confused by this. They also said they would monitor the white spots, but that they did not look like Vitiligo. What are depigmented or hypopigmented skin changes?
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Depigmented skin would be consistent with vitiligo. Vitiligo causes white patches on your skin. It can also affect your eyes, mouth and nose and occurs when the cells that give your skin its color are destroyed. They are giving a mixed message by saying that they would monitor these depigmented areas and then that they do not look like vitiligo. It is possible that they are unsure what the skin changes are a result of and are simply waiting to see if anything changes in order to determine the cause. So they are saying there are skin changes but they do not know yet what the cause is.
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to see my reply?