Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Hi recently, Ive noticed some pain on my sides of my abdomen

Hi recently, I've noticed some pain on my sides of my abdomen only when I press hard on it or there would be very very mild pain here and there. It just happened when I started to work out (running, doing abs) but it might be coincidentally. I've been stressed out for months about different things because I'm a hypochondriac. I don't know if it's anxiety causing the stomach issue. I've been having diarrhea too because I get nervous. I've been thinking too much because I'm paranoid. I don't want it to be intestinal issues. How can I tell whether it's muscle pain or organ pain? A while ago I felt something move in the center of my abdomen or maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me? I'm not sure but what could the movement be?? Also I felt my abdomen today and it felt like I had a bump on some parts. I don't know if it has to do with working out. I asked my stepdad because he's a medical doctor specializes in Internal medicine and he said Don't worry about it that it's just fatty tissue that I felt. He felt it too but he said not to worry and he said that if it was gallbladder/pancreas pain I would be in a lot of pain but I'm not in a lot of pain. When I get the pain on a scale of 1-10 it would be a 1 1/2- 2. That's all. I'm just worried. I need some help and guidance. I did a lipase test today and should be getting the results tomorrow. I know everything will be fine.. I just don't want it to be any organ or intestine/ digestion issues.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Well one factor on your side from reviewing the information available is that at your age >> 25 this would be less likely to be certain issues >> not likely to be gallstones, certainly unlikely to be cancer for example...

Anthony Bray MD :

Your history sounds that you could be susceptible to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) as a possible cause>> this condition is stress/anxiety related>> tends to cause increased spasms of the colon wall>> may alternate from constipation to diarrhea>>

Anthony Bray MD :

IBS may causes twinges of mild pain as you seem to describe in part above....

Anthony Bray MD :

Your history that you are working out and this seemed to correspond to the start of your pain sounds that it may just be musculoskeletal in nature ( muscles and /or connective tissues) >> the tenderness to the touch would seem to fit with this as a cause.... If this were your cause then it may hurt to do a sit up for example... I think that if this reproduced the pain/ soreness that you feel then this would be a probable cause.. this would not be serious if this were your cause... it would be expected to settle down with time...

Anthony Bray MD :

I doubt that you need to worry about any irregularity of the abdomen that you feel >> I think that your strong tendency to worry probably is playing tricks on you in this regard!

Anthony Bray MD :

Your history that you have some diarrhea with this is more suggestive of IBS as a likely cause >>>

Anthony Bray MD :

IBS may benefit from a medication to quell the abnormal spasms of the colon>> Levbid or Librax are a couple of choices here>> it may also benefit from you taking over the counter Metamucil >> this bulking agent tends to help NORMALIZE your BM's from either extreme of diarrhea or constipation (as I noted IBS may swing from one extreme to the other)

Anthony Bray MD :

IBS is not a serious condition!! If you should be diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome >> then try not to worry about this to excess!! >> the condition is a nuisance but not dangerous to you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

I was worried because yesterday my diarrhea was kind of yellow

Customer:

Also I hear my stomach growl all the time

Customer:

The side pain happens by itself sometimes but not so often

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello again>>

Customer:

I also had back pain a few days ago.. it seems like it got better because yesterday I worked out my back

Anthony Bray MD :

A yellowish diarrhea may indicate an infectious cause>>

Customer:

what should i do

Anthony Bray MD :

If this is ongoing then you may benefit to try Pepto Bismol >> one dose after each loose stool up to max of 7 doses in day>>

Anthony Bray MD :

The Pepto would absorb excess fluid in the colon adn also has antimicrobial activity...

Customer:

it turned brown-yellow today

Anthony Bray MD :

OK the back pain sounds that this is probably a separate issue...

Anthony Bray MD :

The Pepto may help if you have an infectious cause of diarrhea as it sounds that this transition in the color of your stool may indicate>> note that if you do try the Pepto this itself will cause the stool to have a chalky black color > don't be alarmed if you notice this...

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions>> I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

SO you don't think its gallbladder issue?

Customer:

Sometimes I get a little pain under my ribcage

Anthony Bray MD :

No I doubt that you have a gallbladder issue... pain under the ribcage especially on the right side could potentially fit with this problem but your age would be a factor that would make this unusual for you...

Customer:

Its just weird because I've never felt this kind of pain before

Anthony Bray MD :

If your doctor on exam felt that this was in need of further evaluation then an abdominal ultrasound would be the best test for this particualr problem...

Customer:

It's on the left

Customer:

but it last half a second

Customer:

when i turn that's when the left side of my abdomen hurts

Anthony Bray MD :

I see >> such a fleeting pain ... only a second or so... this is not likely to be due to gallstones or pancreatitis...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that your pancreas enzyme test will return normal....

Anthony Bray MD :

It hurts when to twist to the left??

Customer:

yes and bending over

Customer:

sometimes

Customer:

under my ribcage

Anthony Bray MD :

Is this spot/area sore to press on it??

Anthony Bray MD :

Does it hurt to do situp here?

Customer:

kind of

Customer:

it's right by my ribcage

Anthony Bray MD :

I wonder if this particular pain may then be a muscle type pain >> you mentioned working out more lately >> this may be related to that >>

Customer:

I hope so

Customer:

what kind of symptoms would it be for gallbladder

Anthony Bray MD :

Well with this being such a short duration type of discomfort that to me is a bit reassuring...less likley to be anything serious...

Anthony Bray MD :

Gallbladder pain typically is intense and may last 30 minutes to several hours...

Customer:

what about random pain in the lower of abdomen

Customer:

IBS?

Anthony Bray MD :

Nausea frequently accompanies this type of pain...

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes random type pains of the lower abdomen would likely fit with IBS as a cause of that>>>

Anthony Bray MD :

The above statement about the NAUSEA > I was referring to GALLBLADDER type with that statement...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would encourage you to not worry about the fleeting type pain lasting only a second >> it is not likely to have a serious cause > too brief to even warrant treatment ... other issues such as the intestinal gripe type symptoms and diarrhea would seem to fit with you having some IBS possibly >> if this is an ongoing problem then I do think that this would benefit from treatment..still encourage you to not worry to excess about this either...

Customer:

What's a good anxiety medicine with less side effects

Customer:

I'm having muscle twitches lately

Anthony Bray MD :

Well there are several > Ativan is good/ effective/ would benefit IBS as well as anxiety >> has some addictive potential which would cause your doctor to be cautious in prescribing..

Anthony Bray MD :

Ativan and others in this family (benzodiazepine class) would tend to help reduce muscle fasciculations ( twitching ) as well....

Anthony Bray MD :

SSRI type antidepressants may be of help in treating anxiety as well >> Lexapro, Zoloft , Paxil as examples....

Customer:

something that is not a narcotic

Anthony Bray MD :

It is not a narcotic...

Anthony Bray MD :

It is controlled substance (benzodiazepine class) but not narcotic....

Customer:

so pain lasting a second can be related to IBS?

Customer:

I need something that is not a controlled substance

Anthony Bray MD :

The SSRI antidepressants are not controlled substances either...

Anthony Bray MD :

So options would include Paxil , Lexapro, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac and others of this class>>> Buspar is for anxiety and is not controlled substance as well....

Customer:

what are the symptoms of IBS

Anthony Bray MD :

Possibly fleeting pain due to IBS ....

Customer:

ok thanks

Anthony Bray MD :

Cramp type pains // alternating constipation and diarrhea...

Anthony Bray MD :

You mentioned that you seem to have diarrhea in response to stress ?? That would very much fit with IBS as a cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions!

Anthony Bray MD :

I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice