Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

any advice on untangling clumps of matts in long hair that

any advice on untangling clumps of matts in long hair that look similar to the attached photo?

Not completely sure how/why they got that way

http://static.dyp.im/UWglgZhXbd/5755ab42efc2d3e207c7e9c59de03055.jpg
Welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied, to untangle those clumps of matts , You could mix jojoba oil with aloe vera, baby oil ,mix a little conditioner with water or use an untangling product , spray the area where the clumps are and with a medium wide tooth comb ,start detangling from the tips of the hair to the roots.

Tangling usually occurs where there're lifted hair cuticles , one hair rubs against the other snagging and forming knots .

Chemical products , blow drying your hair,sunlight and wind exposure could damage your hair and lift your hair cuticles producing future tangles .

The most important steps you need to take to avoid tangling ,is cutting split ends allowing your hair to grow healthier avoiding further damage , use good moisturizing products ( argan or moroccan oil products are perfect ) , when you go to sleep use a satin pillowcase and do not use barrettes or clips overnight .

When your hair is free ,use stretched out styles or use a protective hair style braiding or twisting your hair.

When you shampoo your hair ,focus on your scalp and not the tips so they do not get too dry in the whole process.

Remember over shampooing takes away your natural hair oil . You should wash your hair 1-2 times per week not more than that.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.