911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My STD result for HSV came as HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG HSV

My STD result for HSV came as
HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG
HSV 1 IgG, Type Spec 0.98

Where,
Negative 1.09

what does this mean ?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

I'm not sure I am reading these right...

911Doctor :

Is the result 0.98 and the negative value is up to 1.09?

Customer:

My number is XXXXX w

911Doctor :

what is the 1.09 number? the break for uupper end of normal?

Customer:

Negative <0.91
Equivocal 0.91 - 1.09
Positive >1.09

911Doctor :

okay

911Doctor :

so a question first

911Doctor :

did you have symptoms that prompted this blood test?

911Doctor :

if so, what where they?

Customer:

I am not sure if I have any symptoms.

Customer:

I don't see any sores

Customer:

I just did it for safety

911Doctor :

oh.

911Doctor :

so the blood test is a very poor screening tool

911Doctor :

and should not be done for those purposes

911Doctor :

the good news is that your result is negative

911Doctor :

so we can say that you have not been exposed to the virus, or, rather, that your body has not had a reaction to the virus in the past

911Doctor :

and without current symtpoms i think it is safe to say that you do not have HSV

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Ohh I see. although 0.98 falls in the equivocal range

911Doctor :

again,

911Doctor :

the blood test alone will not tell you if you have herpes... it will only tell you if you have ever been exposed to either hsv1 or hsv2

911Doctor :

most people HAVE been exposed and their bodies HAVE formed antibodies to the virus

911Doctor :

but of these people only a fraction have the disease

911Doctor :

standing by

911Doctor :

the 'gold standard'

911Doctor :

tes

911Doctor :

test

911Doctor :

is a viral culture of an open sore that is suspected to be herpes

911Doctor :

since you have not had sores or blisters it is a good bet that you do not have the disease

Customer:

when you mean sore - you refer to sores in the genital or mouth

911Doctor :

either.

Customer:

I have been to a general physician and urologist and they haven't found anything in my genitals

911Doctor :

good

911Doctor :

why the concern?

Customer:

I have had frequent urination issues which was due to Irritable bowel syndrome or more towards food related

911Doctor :

unfortunate symptoms, but not related to herpes at all.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer:

Out of fear and anxiety, I got tested for this 10 different STD tests that stdtestexpress.com recomneds

911Doctor :

without symptoms this kind of testing is only helpful if all tests are negative

911Doctor :

a physician would not test without symptoms

Customer:

True

911Doctor :

and, to be fair, i would consider your tests, with your lack of symtpoms, a convincing negative.

Customer:

OK. Can we talk to you over the phone ?

911Doctor :

no, that is not permitted by site policy, i am sorry.

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

I am planning to get married

911Doctor :

in fact, the site will block emails and phone numbers even if you try to type them in

911Doctor :

that's great

Customer:

So should be no problem

Customer:

rite ?

911Doctor :

no, i think you can honestly tell your fiancee that you have been thorougly tested for STDs and that you do not have any

Customer:

OK.

911Doctor :

do you have further questions for me about this?

Customer:

Yes, couple more

911Doctor :

go ahead.

Customer:

I hear HSV-1 is very common

Customer:

among the population

911Doctor :

they are both very common

911Doctor :

about 16-20% for gential herpes

Customer:

Would you recommend me getting tested again for HSV-1

911Doctor :

higher for oral herpes

911Doctor :

no i would not recommend it.

911Doctor :

a positive test doesn't mean you have the disease

911Doctor :

it only means your have been exposed

911Doctor :

ulcers, recurrent ulcers or blisters, and then I would get a test, if you don't have them then I would not get tested again

Customer:

OK. I do get mouth ulcers or blisters, but I have had since my young ages.

Customer:

my dad had it for a long time

911Doctor :

then when you have these getting a swab directly from the ulcer is when to get tested

911Doctor :

the blood tests are not helpful

Customer:

OK. I got it.

911Doctor :

anyting else today?

Customer:

No need for any medications rite ?

911Doctor :

certainly not at this point

Customer:

OK. Thank you sir

911Doctor :

you are most welcome

911Doctor :

Thank you so much for your question. It was a pleasure talking with you. Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes.

Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Be Well

911Doc

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.