Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

510 192 Very active exerciser I recently took a pre-employment

5'10
192
Very active exerciser

I recently took a pre-employment screening test for my new job. I have a prescription for Adderall XR which I've been taking for 5 years now. However; I'm a tad nervous as I had smoked marijuana Feb 9th (82 days) when I took my test. All my home testing were (-) x 3. I know that my sample will test positive for Amphetamines d/t my prescription and be sent for confirmation with GC/MS. What I'm worried about though is if they will screen my urine sample for everything with GC/MS. Could they possibly pick up a very trace amount of THC that while be over the 15 ng/ml limit as the intial IA only detects above 50 ng/ml?
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! I will assist you today. So if I read correctly 82 days had passed from the time you smoked until you had the test completed correct?

Customer:

Correct

medtech254 :

Ok. Even with the lowest possible detection level this would show clear.

medtech254 :

The normal detection time limit even with heavy use is no more that 2-3 weeks.

Customer:

My question is if they would GC/MS sample for all five drugs even if only one comes up positive

medtech254 :

They will verify all metabolites when sent for confirmation.

medtech254 :

If the time had passed that you indicate from consumption to testing it will not show on the test.

medtech254 :

Too much time has passed for it to show up.

Customer:

I've read that this would be a very expensive process to do so though. How can you be sure they will test for all?

medtech254 :

That is how it is normally done but it depends on what the reason is for the test and who is doing it. So while they may not for pre-employment at the local Wal-Mart, etc they would if this were for a security clearance, law enforcement employment, post injury, etc.

Customer:

Gotcha

medtech254 :

What is your concern with the test?

medtech254 :

Too much time has passed for this to be of concern anyways.

Customer:

But you're saying that if I had tested negative on a home screening kit then it wouldn't show up on GC/MS then?

medtech254 :

That is as long as you are only concerned with the drugs you listed.

Customer:

Yes only those.

medtech254 :

The home testing has a higher detection level so that would most likely not be the case. The reason dip test or 5 panel at the testing facility is sent for verification is they then look for the metabolites specifically to rule out false positives at low levels.

medtech254 :

In your case though it has been a very long time and well beyond what would still be detectable in the body with GC/MS

Customer:

Okay great

medtech254 :

Thank you for using Just Answer! Please remember to rate my answer today.

Customer:

Thank you

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.