Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Im a 43 year old male and Ive had a dull pain about 3 inches

I'm a 43 year old male and I've had a dull pain about 3 inches under my right collar bone for about two and a half months. When I take a very deep breath I feel the pain a little more -- still dull though, not sharper or more painful, almost a bruised kind of feeling -- and that makes me cough. My right lung does feel kind of irritated, pushing on the spot doesn't make it more tender. The weird part is I have a right neck, shoulder, and upper back ache that comes with it at night, when I'm more tired and the ache has gotten worse. Went to a clinic two weeks ago, Dr. said my lungs sounded clear and gave me prednisolone for a week. Took it, better for first two days and then unchanged, now I'm back to where I was.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Have you undergone any tests so far?

Is there any other known medical illness?

Is there any loss in weight?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Charles,

Have you undergone any tests so far?

No, at the clinic they listened to my breathing with a stethoscope and said I was clear. That's the only test so far, no X-Rays.

No, I'm in very good health, excercise regularly, don't smoke, eat healthy.

Is there any loss in weight? No, I'm 175lbs, 5' 11, and have been for years.

Dear Erik,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described can be due to a condition called pleurisy.It is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung.This causes pain in right side of chest radiating to shoulder,neck,upper back.

Most probable cause seems to be due to pleurisy.Most likely it is caused by viral infection, or other lung lesions nearby the pleura causing its irritation and inflammation.

Other possibility can be of a condition called costochondritis.Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone, or sternum.

These symptoms can be due to following causes:a rib fracture,clavicle fracture,stress fracture,inflammation of the muscular tissue like fibro myosistis or myositis.

Most probable cause seems to be pleurisy.

You need following tests:

-X-ray chest

-Complete blood count(CBC)

-Pulmonary function test(PFT)

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical
examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these
tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be
done accordingly.

Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription

& will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond.

Thank you!

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Hi Erik

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
What was final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles