Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

What is the best topical ointment for the Hailey Hailey Disease?

Customer Question

What is the best topical ointment for the Hailey Hailey Disease? There are several people in my family that have this and we have tried so many different things.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
Sorry to hear that your family members are suffering with this condition.
Hailey-Hailey disease is a rare hereditary blistering skin disease. It commonly affects armpits, groins, and neck, under the breasts and between the buttocks.
As such Unfortunately there is no cure for Hailey-Hailey disease.
The line of treatment is aimed at reducing symptoms and preventing flares up of this disease.
Following approach can be used-
1. Use of Tacrolimus ointment on affected parts, it is a non-steroidal ointment and has shown good results in the condition.
2. Use of Oral retinoids, Calcipotriol cream and UV light therapy can be very helpful.
3. Local injection of Botox into the groin folds can clear up the condition for some month after which it can be repeated if required.
4. If condition doesn't improves, then third line agents like oral methotrexate, dapsone and ciclosporin can be used.
5. A 4-6 week course of oral Tetracycline (e.g Doxycycline) or Erythromycin combined with topical steroid creams can be used.
6. Laser therapy can also be considered.
7. One should use Wet compresses to dry up oozing patches.
Also only in severe cases surgery can be performed to remove the affected skin. This is the last option. Skin grafts are usually necessary to repair the wounds.
Reference- http://www.bad.org.uk/site/822/default.aspx
Please discuss these options with your doctor.
If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The ointments and creams listed above, can they be purchased over the counter?

My father, my brother and I have used Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream and this works great, but it's doctor prescribed.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Rachel,
Sorry to say, but all these are prescription creams, and those have to be advised by your doctor only. These are not available as OTC.
One good home measure is dilute vinegar compresses.
You can use mix half a cup of white vinegar in one liter of tepid water, then you can soak clean cotton or gauze in it and use it over the affected area for 4-5 minutes and then gently wipe clean.
You can store the mixture in the fridge when not in use.
This would be helpful.
You can use Oral antihistamines like Claritin or Zyrtec 10 mg once or twice a day, it is available as OTC.
For other medications, as advised above, Please see your doctor and get it managed.
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do take Zyrtec twice a day for hives. If I miss a dose, my whole body starts itching. I don't believe this has anything to do with the HHD.

I will try to vinegar and water compresses.

Thanks,

Rachel

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Rachel,
Yes, you should continue with Zyrtec twice a day.
Yes, you should try vinegar and water compresses. This would be helpful for your condition.
Good luck and take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Josh and take care,

Rachel

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Most Welcome and Thanks for using justanswer.com
I wish for you and your family a good health.
Take care.