Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

Im on my period but my tummy is very swollen painful (cramps)

I'm on my period but my tummy is very swollen painful (cramps) particularly in the lower left side, it feels like it does when you have a tummy bug but I'm not sick or anything like that. I feel heavy and sluggish. I'm not usually like this when I'm on my period. what could it be?

When did your period start?

Is it heavy bleeding?

Have you used any contraception last month?

Are your periods regular?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started my period 3 days ago, I've not had intercourse in over a month and last that I did I used protection (condom). My periods are usually regular however I had a pregnancy termination on the 4th of January. My period last month though had returned to normal, but I have always had a heavy period. I suffer with constipation if I eat certain foods such as white bread pasta rice etc but I avoid this food due to this fact, so I don't think that it's that. I've hardly slept in 5 nights as my little boy has been ill and awake through the night, maybe that has irritated whatever is going on. I've not been sick or had diarrhoea, but when I go to the toilet sometimes there is a brown liquid like soft poo has excreted from my bottom. I am extremely bloated yes my tummy is very hard and painful. I am passing excretion though so I am not constipated.

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

As you describe possible causes may include Dysmenorrhea,Irritable bowel syndrome,Uterine pathology which can cause you pain in lower abdomen.

So you should take OTC Motrin which provide you relief.

Also do warm compresses on lower abdomen with a heating pad.

Take metamucil and OTC Mylanta.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

If your pain'll persist then you need to be seen by your regular doctor for further evaluation and management.

If you have associated dizziness,lightheadedness,excessive heavy bleeding with severe pain then visit ER for prompt management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.