Karel1, Certified Respiratory Therapist
Experience:  Have suffered with Narcolepsy a sleeping disorder over 30 years,specializes in asthma ,COPD

I have a hard time focusing, is there anything I can take or

I have a hard time focusing, is there anything I can take or do to help me study. I am going back to school because I never finished years ago and want to make sure I am able to complete the class, retain the information and get straight A's - I suffered from depression while at my other school but I am in another stage of my life now and want to finish what I started

It sounds like you also may have attention deficit syndrome. You should see your doctor . He may want to have you tested and see if ritalin would help. It is the drug of choice to help with ones concentration. One tip is stay away from caffeine, as it will only make you race more. Drink decaffinated tea or coffee if you must.

see attached link.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't drink any coffee and rarely drink soda or any sugary drinks. I'm not spastic or bouncing all over the place but even when I try to read a book I start falling asleep after the 3rd page and can't concentrate. What are the side effects of Ritalin and is there anything else I could take or do?

If you are fallings asleep because your unable to concentrate I suggest you follow this link, It gives great tips especially for studying.You should also speak to the teacher regarding your problem before you even start the class as she may have some ideas. If you are unable to focus because of tiredness, you might want to seek a sleep center to have your sleep monitored in case its a sleep disorder. Because you mentioned you fall asleep after reading just 3 pages and that maybe a symptom of narcolepsy. However if you are falling asleep because of the adhd or depression. then I suggest you try the tips from the link, as speak to your md. If it is so uncontrollable you mayneed the ritalin, however perhaps with those tips you might be able to get it under control without medication. Here is the link