Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

What do you recommend for congested cough that had a wheeze

What do you recommend for congested cough that had a wheeze to it for a four year old? No fever
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long the child has this wheeze & cough?
Any tests done so far?
Is there breathing discomfort?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No discomfort. He doesn't have problems breathing. He just gets like this when his sinuses get bad. I hate giving him the inhaler when he is only 4. He started today.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No tests done. His brothers have had sinus infections so he was bound to get it too:(
Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

As your child is having a wheezing sound when breathing out, this could mean that the lower airways in the lungs are swollen.Its most common cause is asthma or with a viral infection (bronchiolitis).

Cough medicines are not recommended for children under age 6.No home remedies or cold medicines will make a cold go away faster. A cold usually runs its course in 7 to 10 days.

Following will help him/her greatly:

-The best help is to use a bulb suction with any nasal saline drops. This can be done as frequently as needed (safely).

-Putting a humidifier in their room at night can help their cough

-Using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

-Elevating the head of the bed may help with mucous drainage.

All this will help the child greatly in symptomatic relief.If still the symptoms persists or the child feels great discomfort,then he/she can be taken to ER as prescription oral medications may then be required accordingly.

Hope this helped

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

Thank you! XXXXX
Dr. Charles