Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

do you think I have anything to worry about. Do alot of people

Customer Question

do you think I have anything to worry about. Do alot of people have high calcium and live normal lives
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--I'm a different expert from the one you talked to before so could you please tell me about the calcium problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In early 2010 I was diagnosed with high serum calcium 10.3 with pth 7 DR wasnt worried about it. she rechecked the calcium 2 mths ago 2013 calcium was still 10.3 could i have cancer? All other blood work normal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Was your ionized calcium also checked? Nothing else in your blood work was abnormal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, and all other blood work normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didnt have ionized checked all other blood work normal

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what the normal calcium ranges were for that lab?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.2 for calcium

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. One tenth of a point over the high normal really is still normal and with a normal PTH I don't think you have anything to worry about here. Not cancer from, say, bone metastases since that would drive the calcium much higher. And not a parathyroid tumor either. If you were very concerned about this I would get an ultrasound of the thyroid and parathyroid glands to look for a parathyroid adenoma (which isn't malignant, by the way) but I'm sure that would be normal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my pth wasnt normal it was low 7

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That depends on the units used--what's the range for that lab?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i think it 10 or 12 low end normal

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did you get my last answer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay--just one more question--have you had your vitamin D levels checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not that i know of

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. A low PTH with a barely elevated calcium is still nothing to worry about but I would check your vitamin D levels because elevated vitamin D can elevate calcium. I would also check an ionized calcium since that would be a more sensitive measure of your actual calcium level
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question, I dont work and i live in the north with nothing to do in winter except a little housework. Can laying around watching tv 90% of the day and night have anything to do with the slightly high calcium

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not really. If someone were completely bed ridden for a fair amount of time that could cause some osteopenia and resorption of bone and raise the calcium level a bit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im still a little worried. Are you sure theres nothing to worry about

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--let's go over it again--what exactly are you worried about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

having slightly high calcium and cancer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What kind of cancer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i dont know it just says all over internet high calcium is due to cancer.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's the danger of Googling medical matters if you aren't a doctor. I assume that that was talking about bone metastases from some cancers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes thats what it was. it does scare the hell out of ya

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Did you see what the typical calcium levels would be if that were the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they never put any values just had the possible causes

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--normally we're talking calcium values of at least 12 or higher with the hypercalcemia of malignancy. And, again, I wouldn't call your results true hypercalcemia. I know you're worried but try not to be. Talk to your doctor again and talk about your concern--I'm sure that your doctor will tell you exactly what I've told you, that you don't need to worry about cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you Dr Chip you are very patient and very nice

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Totally my pleasure and hope I've helped calm your fears
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes you have :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Call on me any time
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Im taking proair inhaler for bronchitis. I dont have my instructions anymore so i have taken 2 puffs is that the right dosage for an inhaler

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 months ago.
The usual dosage is two puffs every four to six hours as needed so unless you start to wheeze or have trouble moving air you only need the two puffs when that starts to happen
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is this a pretty safe drug. I read it could lower potassium. I get real nervous taking new meds.

It's pretty safe although it can raise your heartbeat some just like caffeine. In a sort period of use like for bronchitis there's really no risk of low potassium
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

One more question please i take 20mg of celexa are they ok to take together

Well, that can be a problem. Although it's not too common, the mixture of the Celexa and the ProAir can cause heart arrhythmias, so I suggest you contact either you doctor or your pharmacist before using the ProAir