Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

Ive had SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) for 5

Customer Question

I've had SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) for 5 years...take acidolphalus everyday to keep it at bay...but lately...I've had a dull ache between my breasts and under the left breast. I do have a hiatal hernia..small one and I have GERD which is controlled with NExium daily. Nothing seems to be helping right now. I was put on antibiotics 10 days ago to see if it was my SIBO acting up...it didn't go away. Could this be related to my pancreas or gallbladder?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Customer:

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

When did the dull ache start?

Customer:

Did you have any test?

Customer:

When did you consult doctor last?

Customer:

Pain in that area can be due to reflux, hiatus hernia.

Customer:

Nexium usually helps in reflux.

Customer:

As it is not helping, further tests should be taken.

Customer:

Gall bladder disease can cause such pain.

Customer:

Try to avoid fatty food, tea, coffee alcohol.

Customer:

Ultrasound can look for gall bladder and pancreas.

Customer:

Pancreatic enzyme study can assess its disorder.

Customer:

Pain in this area can also come from heart conditions like angina.

Customer:

At your age it should be checked.

Customer:

An EKG. blood tests should be taken if you have not had it yet.

Customer:

If the doctor did not find any cause, then H. pylori test, CT scan, endoscopy can be taken.

Customer:

You may be having difficulty in entering chat.

Customer:

I am changing to question & answer format.

Customer:

If you have any further query, please feel free to ask.

Customer:

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer

Thank you for sending your questions and responses to me....I can not access
you through your message system...so this way of communicating works fine.

Here are the answers to the questions you asked:

Dull ache in the area of my bra....and under left breast started two months
ago. Thought it was the SIBO coming back...so the doctor put me on an
antibiotic uses in treating SIBO....that has not helped.
I'm having ultra sounds on gall bladder and pancreas this coming Monday.
I do suffer from GERD/reflux and take a daily Nexium along with Zantac when
needed.
I do have a small Hiatus Hernia.
Family history of gall bladder problems.
Not sure if my discomfort is really in the area of gall bladder or
not....more in the center of the breast and right below the breast bone.
I had my regular heart check up two months ago...ECO was done....vessels
were clean...not problems with the heart.
Had my annual exam two months ago....all blood work was good...no problems.
I've been tested before for H. pylori....negative on that.
Had an Endoscopy of the stomach 8 months ago. Annual exam by my GI doctor.

Thanks for answering the above questions/answers.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

You are always welcome.

Usually pain from gall bladder is felt on right side below the rib margin.

But in a small percentage of cases, the site may not be typical.

As reflux medicines are not helping & you have got antibiotics for SIBO, so doctor is evaluating the other possibilities.

If you had EKG, echo after start of the pain then it is unlikely to be related to heart.

Sometimes, costochondritis of ribs can also cause pain there.

Repeat tests for H pylori can be taken, if you did not have it recently.

Simple non invasive tests from blood, breath or stool can be considered.

Please click on REPLY TO EXPERT, if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Wish your healthy life. In case you need further help, let me know,

Dr Saha