Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I was taking massive amounts of vitamin c to stave of a cold

I was taking massive amounts of vitamin c to stave of a cold that is going around. I just heard it can cause miscarriage...ifit doesnt what kind of birth defects and risks are there to the baby/

What doses were you taking?
How man weeks is pregnancy?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am estimating that I am 5 or 6 weeks pregnant. i was taking 1000mg every 2 hrs for 4 days...i havent taken any today since i read about the miscarriage risks...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i could possibly be 9 weeks pregnant as my last period was very short and that isnt normal for me.

Unfortunately there are no scientific studies which have been done either in the animals or humans for the adverse effects in pregnancy or fetal defects. Thus categorically anything conclusive cannot be said. Please see this authentic reference resource;

The medical literature is scarce about it and Internet has only anecdotal evidences which does not have any authenticity. The chance of miscarriage and fetal defect is low as you have taken it only for four days. Though one should work in utmost caution and monthly ultrasound for the screening would be recommended just for working on the highly cautionary side.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have also read too much vitamin c can cause a problem with a babies red blood you have any info on this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can i ask about other meds i am taking as well or do i need to start this whole process over again to do that?

I have searched the authentic medical literature (all public resources for the side effects / adverse effects). A four day exposure is not likely to cause problem with red blood cells in 9 month pregnancy.

What are the other medications which you are taking?

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

atenolol, tapazole, wellbutrin, omeprazole, and prn xanax

Following is the medical literature about these medications:

Atenolol; Positive evidence of human fetal risk.

Tapazole; Positive evidence of human fetal risk.

Wellbutrin; Animal studies show risk and human studies not available.

Omeprazole; Animal studies show risk and human studies not available.

Xanax; Positive evidence of human fetal risk.