Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Help with reading husbands semen analysis Sperm Count: 73.5

Help with reading husbands semen analysis
Sperm Count: 73.5 million
Volume: 8ml
Ph: 8.4
Motile: 2%
Non-progressive:55%
Immotile: 43%
Morphology: 7%

Have been trying to conceive for 18months. this is first analysis. Husband has to do second sample to see if this happens every time he ejaculates. Will we be able to conceive naturally if with these results?

I understand your worry.

So i explain you his semen analysis report in detail

Sperm Count: 73.5 million(N.range-more than 20 million0
Volume: 8ml(N.range2-6.5ml)
Ph: 8.4(N.range-7.1-8.0)
Motile: 2%(greater than 50 percent)
Non-progressive:55%
Immotile: 43%
Morphology: 7%(N.range-more than 4%).

His sperm pH is high and infection is usually associated with alkaline ejaculate pH >8.0. pH over 8.0 may indicate infection, so the best thing to potentially do for this is to make sure there is no prostate/urine infection and be treated with antibiotics if this is the case.

Sperm motility is a term that describes sperm's ability to move in an active fashion. Motility enables the sperm to travel through the cervical canal, into the uterus and the fallopian tubes and, finally, to penetrate the egg..

And his sperm motility is low however as his total sperm count is high so it's sperm motility may be more than 8 million so lower motility would not be as great a concern for fertility since there is an advantage in pure numbers.

However, when the count is low and of that count only 50% are motile, it can cause fertility problems.

So i suggest him to get repeat semen analysis for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.