Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

I have been experiencing a strange pressure sensation in the

I have been experiencing a strange pressure sensation in the breast bone area of my chest when I straighten up after bending over. It's a little uncomfortable but not a sharp pain. Almost makes me think of my organs settling after being upside down. I feel nothin when I am bent over. It's only once I sit/stand up. Should I be worried?
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Do you have breathing discomfort ?
Do you have such symptoms in left side of chest?
Do you have pain in chest on exertion?
Do you have numbness in left arm/ left shoulder?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No breathing discomfort other than a few breaths after sitting/standing upright. No only in the center of my chest.
No only after bending down/ over
No shoulder & elbow JOINTS have been flaring up as well as knees. Not normal but blew it off to getting older.
Only conditions are slight high blood pressure for which I take medicine, thyroid issue I was on sung rood but a few weeks ago was switched to a more natural medicine. Welbutrine. (sp?)
No real stress. Not more than most parents.
Seem to be going through a hot flash or two every now & again. Over in a few moments usually. That's all I can think of...
Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I understand your condition.

Such sensation in middle of chest, which comes only after straighten up can be due to Costochondritis. This can occur with inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes such sensation in middle of chest.

Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage and it can be the reason, that you get such symptoms only during sitting/standing upright( Postural changes).
Most likely this is not a serious issue. However to remain on safe side and for peace of mind, you can get Chest x-ray and EKG done.

To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
-Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
-Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.
You should avoid stress and go for stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga.

Though it is not serious issue, and usually such condition get resolve with measures as advised above. However best bet is that you should get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.