Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

In early 2010 I was diagnosed with high serum calcium 10.3

In early 2010 I was diagnosed with high serum calcium 10.3 with pth 7 DR wasnt worried about it. she rechecked the calcium 2 mths ago 2013 calcium was still 10.3 could i have cancer? All other blood work normal

medtech254 :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. Lab "normal" values differ depending on where you are located to a small degree but the average normal range for serum calcium is 8.8 to 10.4. With pth of 7 with reference range of 15-60. If calcium levels are high and PTH levels are low the parathyroid glands are responding properly. I know the internet is full of garbage about high calcium levels and cancer but it is VERY rare to have elevated calcium levels due to cancer. In fact most high calcium due to cancer is almost always found in people who are in the hospital and very ill with progressed cancer.

medtech254 :

The level is not high enough to be of serious concern and is something that should be monitored. Depending on where you live this level is actually in the normal range just on the high side.

thank you very very much