Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Can you please tell me what the below MRI findings mean please.Dave

Can you please tell me what the below MRI findings mean please.

Dave

The ventricles, sulci and cisterns are diffusely prominent in greater
than expected for the patient's stated age. No areas of diffusion
restriction are present. No evidence for acute intracranial
hemorrhage or ischemia. Scattered patchy areas of T2 prolongation
present the periventricular and subcortical white matter bilaterally.
No abnormal parenchymal or meningeal enhancement is present. There
is no evidence of mass, mass-effect or midline shift. Flow-voids are
present within the major intracranial arteries. The paranasal
sinuses and mastoid air cells are well aerated.
Impression:
1. No evidence of acute intracranial abnormality.
2. Volume loss greater than expected for age.
3. Nonspecific gliosis most compatible with mild microvascular
changes
Category: Health
Expert:  Ken replied 1 year ago.

This is MRI Brain report done with contrast administration.

The good thing is there is no mass/ bleed or infarct within the brain parenchyma. Brain consists of gyri {finger like projections} tightly fit within the skull. The CSF space in between these gyri is called and sulci. There is thinning of the gyri which is causing prominence of sulci. The cause of this thinning can be varied - age/ excess use of alcohol/ reduced blood flow to the brain, extra. Hyper-intense signals at periventricular area are due to narrowing of the small vessels within the brain {most likely cause is atherosclerosis}. Raised blood pressure, diabetes, obesity are the risk factors for getting atherosclerosis.

In nushell - There is nothing to worry of from the report. You need to avoid the risk factors or keep them under control.

Wish you well.

Let me know if you want me to explain anything in more detail. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Best

Ken, Doctor
Experience: Working as a doctor who cares since 2001.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--let me give you my opinion here but first may I ask why you had the MRI done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having significant problems with memory and have problems with night time low blood oxygen. I am on evening oxygen 2 liters per min. The doc what trying to determine if the brain was sending out the correct information.

Dave

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--has your doctor discussed the MRI findings with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has had them for about two weeks and has not called. I am assuming that means no significant issues. Your getting me nervous now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn't want to get you nervous--just wanted to get more information. The reason I came on is that I didn't agree with the other expert that there was really nothing here to be concerned about. You really don't have any specific lesions present except for the loss of brain volume and this is good news to an extent since it rules out things like multiple sclerosis and you don't have any evidence for what's called normotensive hydrocephalus--water on the brain, so to speak, but you do have what appears to be areas of small strokes which would not necessarily account for your memory problems. While I can't say for sure, you may have early Alzheimer's disease or dementia from these findings, so you do need to see a neurologist about them. Here's a link for you and if you need me to discuss this further with you, please let me know here

http://www.localhealth.com/article/cerebral-atrophy/causes
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. I gave the MRI results to my neurologist this morning. Hopefully I will hear back from him. I am scheduled for neuropsych testing in May. I appreciate the honesty. Thanks for the link also.

Dave