Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 43 years old and for the last 3 weeks I have has a throbbing

Customer Question

I am 43 years old and for the last 3 weeks I have has a throbbing pain about 1/4 inch from my elbow, lateral side. I can see the muscle/vein/tendon pulsate??

Not dizzy, nausea, vomit or anything like that. I had an x-ray 3 days ago that showed no fractures, I think an MRI can only see the real reason why it does what it does.

I am in the medical field...a nurse and a paramedic, so i do understand anatomy and other issues with the body. Sometimes it tingles but that's it. It's more of an annoyance. I am waiting on an authorization for an MRi from my physician.

Before I had this pain 1 month ago, I was dong some advanced yoga moves and like 150 pullups a day. My doctor says my arm "in general" is overworked.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--is this in the area of the lateral epicondyle? Are you saying that the muscle is twitching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I am standing up with my right arm extended out in front of me with my palms down, it is in that boney divit 1/4 on top. On top meaning no the direction of the tri-cep, but towards the ceiling, if that makes sense.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--and the area is actually twitching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it was twitching yesterday 2x and 1x today. I had surgery on my shoulder 2 years ago, with a shoulder decompression, where they cleaned out the cobwebs of my shoulder and fixed my ripped bicep tendon and put a clip on it. My pain scale is like a 1 throughout the day, but after I worked out today (which i shouldnt have), it just throbs and sometimes pulsates.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And I assume it's tender there? Does it hurt to twist your wrist--alternately turn your hand palm up and palm down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not at all. I did some really heavy weights for back today, seems like after the workout, when i grab something, it hurts there, then it goes away. I can push on that spot all day and it doesnt hurt...weird I now. I read on the internet that some say it might be a DVT, but it's been going on for about 1 month. I have slept with only 1 pilow behind my head instead of my usual 2, lol. I am vegan so my diet is in check. I get my blood levels along with vitamin d, b,a ak and others checked every 6months. Nothing is really tender at all, except after a workout, my elbow area hurst when I kind of rotate my wrist, it seems to be like a small tingle now that I am typing this note. My shoulder or clavicle doesnt hurt all.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. No, not a DVT. Just one last question--nothing like this anywhere else in your body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

NO, not at all. It happened right when i started to do the yoga, plus my wrist hurt because i was doing about 100 pullups a day, but it hurt my right wrist, then I started yoga, then it started to throb. great health cholesterol down from LDL 299 to 100, seriously. I was in bad shape 2 years ago, but nothing else anywhere in my body, not even on my right side. I did some back exercises today which involved gripping and pulling weight, but it wasnt throbbing or my slight pain until like 30 minutes after. It's like the throbbing and pain was builing up. pain when it throbs is like 1, there's like no pain, but when i turned my wrist after my workout i could feel it slightly in my elbow

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just wanted to see whether this might be a systemic problem like a magnesium deficiency or even an autoimmune problem but it doesn't sound like that. Being so localized it has to be something in that area alone, and all that's there are tendons, muscle, nerve and bone. It sounds as though you have a lateral epicondylitis type of tendonosis but with the lack of a lot of tenderness you could also have a partial ulnar nerve entrapment. I would get the MRI of the elbow to evaluate this and you may need a cortisone injection there along with an elbow brace for a time to clear this up.