Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I got an MRI of my jaw recently because I have horrible TMJ

I got an MRI of my jaw recently because I have horrible TMJ dysfunction, and part of what the report says is "Partial opacification of the right mastoid air cell". When I looked that up on this website, it sounds like it means an infection? My doctor didn't say anything to me about this, but he didn't have the report when I went for the followup- just the MRI disc. Does this mean I need to have antibiotics to get rid of the infection? Thank you for your help.

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also.

DR HASAN :

I need few details. Do you have any symptoms like ear discharge, pain on pressing the bony area behind the ear?

Customer:

No, I don't have any of those symptoms.

DR HASAN :

I am an ENT and Head & Neck surgeon so i deal with mastoid problems.

Customer:

Great, thanks!

DR HASAN :

You never had such symptoms?

Customer:

No.

DR HASAN :

Great.

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input.

DR HASAN :

Opacification of mastoid cells is a coincidental finding and it's quite common.

Customer:

Does it mean I have an infection of some sort?

DR HASAN :

You might have had an infection when you were a child or even without that you can have such opacification.

DR HASAN :

No this simply is insignificant.

DR HASAN :

This in the absence of real symptoms is insignificant and you don't need any treatment for this for sure.

Customer:

Oh good! I really appreciate your help. This saves me a trip to the doctor. I do occasionally have minor ear aches, but I assumed that was from my jaw issues.

DR HASAN :

No those minor ear aches even are not significant regarding this finding.

DR HASAN :

So just relax and don't stress yourself, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Customer:

Ok great, thank you for your help! I hate to ask you this, but I'm hoping you can ease my mind. I was unsure about putting my credit card information on this site, and then it looked like I was signing up for a membership! I don't want that. I just wanted to ask about this. Do you know if I've now signed up for a membership?

DR HASAN :

I am sorry i am not able to give you this information but you can contact the justanswer's customer services for this. However i can assure you and give you my words that you don't need to worry because justanswer is very safe and they will do what you will say. They never charge you without your wil and you can even get refund if something happens mistakenly.

Customer:

Ok great, thank you so much! Have a great evening!

DR HASAN :

You are welcome. Please click the smiley to rate my answer, You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Customer:

Ok great, thanks! I will definitely click the smiley face. :)

DR HASAN :

Thanks :)