Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

What does Phillips milk of magnesia does to your stomach and

What does Phillips milk of magnesia does to your stomach and can you explain to me in details or breakdown this is my first time using it and what happen after you take it and drink water afterwards?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also

DR HASAN :

I am going to address your primary concern first and then you can ask anything you want.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

Milk of magnesia acts on stomach and then on intestines.

DR HASAN :

When you take it, on entering the stomach it neutralizes the acid.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

So it acts as an antacid.

Customer:

O

DR HASAN :

It is poorly absorbed in intestines so it keeps passing downward but during this it keeps absorbing water from the intestines.

DR HASAN :

This absorption of water increases the bulk of the stool and relieves conditions like constipation.

DR HASAN :

Imagine that why doctors advise to drink plenty of water daily.

DR HASAN :

Because it helps with constipation.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

But there is one important aspect that it doesn't absorb water alone.

Customer:

What's that

DR HASAN :

Potassium from the body comes with water so one can get potassium deficiency.

DR HASAN :

This potassium deficiency can cause muscle cramps.

DR HASAN :

So you must make sure that you should take banana, milk etc to keep potassium levels normal.

Customer:

So I took it and drink one cup of water 2 tbsp

Customer:

I have gi tract virus

DR HASAN :

Drinking water over it is not contraindicated so you can drink water with it and it is not going to affect you negatively.

DR HASAN :

Oh i am so sorry to hear this.

Customer:

It's ok

DR HASAN :

Since how long you have this and what are your symptoms.

Customer:

I had a week ago right now I'm recovering on and off

DR HASAN :

Any fever, diarrhea, vomiting etc?

Customer:

No fever no vomiting

Customer:

diarrhea in morning

DR HASAN :

just in morning?

DR HASAN :

stool is fine otherwise?

Customer:

Yes but I had a problem today like I was dying

Customer:

No this morning I had to push it out but my dad told me now don't drink coffee morning and I also have a cold

DR HASAN :

you mean you were constipated today?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I was every morning I wasn't suppose to drink coffee with milk cuz it's dairy

DR HASAN :

and that's why you took milk of magnesia?

Customer:

yesSo yes

DR HASAN :

fine.

DR HASAN :

Your symptoms indicate that you are getting better.

Customer:

Really can I take orange juice and warm water my dad say I could

DR HASAN :

having constipation once is not something to be worried, how many glasses of water you drink daily?

Customer:

my mom say it takes time

DR HASAN :

yes you can drink orange juice and warm water.

DR HASAN :

what takes time?

Customer:

not really I don't like water in general beside Poland spring water

Customer:

my stomach virus

DR HASAN :

so basically this is your cause of constipation.

Customer:

i don't rarely drink water I try to drink 2 cups of water

DR HASAN :

You should drink at least 8 glasses of water every day.

DR HASAN :

Or other fluids

Customer:

every 2 hours so basically one bottle

DR HASAN :

Yes stomach virus takes 4 to 5 days maximum.

Customer:

ok

DR HASAN :

8 glasses means 2 bottles in 24 hours.

DR HASAN :

one liter bottle

Customer:

I use paper cup to drink the water so I drink 2 cups that equal one bottle

Customer:

I drink 2 nd bottle after dinner

DR HASAN :

ok then you should drink 4 cups daily.

Customer:

Yes

DR HASAN :

and there is no further need for milk of magnesia.

DR HASAN :

Just drink water and take psyllium husk regularly.

Customer:

How long do you think the stomach virus go away

DR HASAN :

4 to 5 days.

DR HASAN :

as you don't have diarrhea, this means that you are fine now.

Customer:

Phillips actually help what happen this morning and afternoon I couldn't give gas all day

Customer:

My stomach was in pain

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

like a burning pain?

Customer:

Yes I had pain between my chest and stomach after I burp then I had problem with my stomach it didn't go away

DR HASAN :

What you are telling now is consistent with acid reflux from your stomach.

DR HASAN :

In that case yes milk of magnesia will help you.

Customer:

Yes because earlier i went treadmill at home walk slow then walk a little fast then someone told me to take tums

DR HASAN :

Suppose if you don't get better then you can take over the counter Cap Omeprazole 40mg which will help you a lot.

Customer:

So I don't have to take it tomorrow

DR HASAN :

Tums, pepto bismol, ranitidine etc we have many options.

DR HASAN :

but omeprazole is best.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

Yes you can take milk of magnesia tomorrow.

DR HASAN :

but eat bananas

Customer:

when at night

DR HASAN :

they will help you with constipation also.

DR HASAN :

No better in the day time.

Customer:

When in the daytime I don't eat bananas

DR HASAN :

What are your working hours?

Customer:

I don't have job

Customer:

I'm unemployedunemployed

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

You can take it in morning. after breakfast.

Customer:

I don't eat breakfast

DR HASAN :

Ok then take it after lunch.

Customer:

Ok

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

I'm glad I won't be sick next week

DR HASAN :

But avoid before sleep because then you might feel the urge to have a bowel movement at night which can disturb your sleep.

Customer:

It's been almost two weeks

DR HASAN :

I wish that you remain healthy always.

DR HASAN :

Yes i can understand.

Customer:

I will and I just took it already before I talk to you

DR HASAN :

But hopefully as per symptoms you are now getting better.

Customer:

I'm going to sleep at 10

Customer:

Yay

DR HASAN :

That's fine.

Customer:

Tank

DR HASAN :

So any question?

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

No

Customer:

Wait

DR HASAN :

You are welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Customer:

do you think I was stressed out

DR HASAN :

ok please ask, i am here.

DR HASAN :

Every one can get stressed after being sick for this much time.

Customer:

Because my friends today say I was stressed out not calm and saying

DR HASAN :

But stress has no relation with this illness.

Customer:

Thank you

Customer:

Really

Customer:

Then why my stomach felt sour

DR HASAN :

Just relax and you will be fine soon.

Customer:

Ok thanks

DR HASAN :

Because after stomach virus one can have it and this gets better with time and treatment.

Customer:

I miss drinking my coffee in the morning

DR HASAN :

Take milk of magnesia and if no relief in two days then omeprazole.

Customer:

I ask my dad for that

DR HASAN :

Coffee, tea, smoking, alcohol, spicy foods should be avoided for one to two weeks at least.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

They can irritate your stomach.

Customer:

I didn't know that

DR HASAN :

yogurt is best for you.

DR HASAN :

:) no problem

Customer:

What kind I rarely don't eat I don't know which brand is good

DR HASAN :

Any brand, plain yogurt.

DR HASAN :

Its a probiotic and promotes growth of healthy bacteria in our intestines to keep us healthy.

Customer:

How often do you eat cuz I'm eating lunch and dinner korean rice porridge good for the stomach

DR HASAN :

yes they are good too.

DR HASAN :

eat twice or thrice a week.

Customer:

I meant how often do I eat yogurt yes I eat rice with little salt little low low sodium soy sauce

DR HASAN :

You should eat yogurt twice a week.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

Good luck again.

DR HASAN :

:)

Customer:

Thanks

DR HASAN :

Welcome. You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

Customer:

My dad a doctor too

DR HASAN :

oh that's great.

DR HASAN :

Pay him my regards.

Customer:

My mom nurse that's why I ask them too but they in KoreaKorea

Customer:

So it's hard

DR HASAN :

ok i understand, they must be busy.

Customer:

Yeah that's why I need someone in case I mess up and I don't want to get sick a little longer

DR HASAN :

My best wishes are with you.

Customer:

I hate paying

Customer:

thanks to you my guy friends can't help me beside stress me more

DR HASAN :

You are welcome. I assure you that you don't need to stress yourself.

Customer:

Thank you

DR HASAN :

Please rate my answer by clicking the smiley.

Customer:

Ok

DR HASAN :

Thanks.

Customer:

Your welcome

DR HASAN :

:)

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got a question after I took Phillips this morning the second time before lunch I have a cold at the same time cuz I'm coughing I don't feel cold or hot only this morning cuz I didn't have coffee and I drank orange juice that's cold I can't drink cold stuff when I wake up when can I go back to my normal self and can you tell me when I be ok i understand 4 to 5 days. I'm worried that I can't sleep during the day cuz I have to be hydrated when I'm dead tired and have muscle spasm and no appetite I don't have urge to drink water and what happen tomorrow for me for how my bowel movement will be like

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. You should avoid tea, coffee etc for two weeks at least because acid reflux can take this much time to heal. However you don't need to stress yourself because mot likely after 4 to 5 days you are likely to feel better. It's not at all required for you to skip your sleep for being hydrated. You should sleep whenever you want and for hydration you can just drink water and other fluids whenever you are awake. Please don't skip your sleep. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But before I got sick I had a habit to keep using enema tube and I haven't eaten vegetables that why I'm like this and I have a cold and muscle spasm of sleeping wrong can i sleep on my left side that's where I have the spasm and headache for not sleeping well of taking that medicine

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Suzan usage of enema frequently is dangerous for health so you should avoid this in future. Anyone eating anything can get sick to stomach, diet is not the only thing which aggravates this problem. Many other things like stress can make one sick to stomach and you are over stressing yourself so please relax. You will be ok in few days. You can sleep on any side, that really doesn't matter. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to be done before next week cuz after that birthday atbirthday at

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Well you are tying your best to treat yourself and you can hope for the best. Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol etc and in that case then as i said yesterday, omeprazole 40mg once daily is better than milk of magnesia. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you suggest anything for my butt cuz I use toilet tissue to wipe my butt now it hurts

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes 1% hydrocortisone twice daily can be applied there and it gives relief in one to two days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could I exercise on my treadmill while I'm recovering or just wait to get rest first

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
No you can exercise. There is no harm in exercise. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr Hasan I have to ask a question why does my left HerutHerut

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
HI, Thanks for your question. Are you talking about the same pain just below rib cage on left side? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and also yesterday I had hard time labor breathing after lunch I slept then I woke up something was killing me so I try to relax and not stress and then I walk around and eat at 3 to make it go away then after i lay on my stomach to push my gas out and the breathing stop then I was hungry so after my stomach was acting funny it was making like stomach acid grumbling so I couldn't sleep worrying that I have labor breathing problem so I kept waking up every two hours so this morning I think whatever happen yesterday it reflecting today o yesterday my stomach didn't make noise like it does to pass gas and throat was fine my mom say that a virus so I don't understand i feel like myself except the pain so

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Suzan that sounds like acid reflux from your stomach. What are you currently taking for it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I take pepto bismol after lunch I took Metamucil and some reason I went outside and came back my chin was swollen my mom friend think a bug bit my chin I use windex to swell it then I bought benadryl but she thinks a bug bite my friend thinks allergic reaction cuz I have a dot and I took Metamucil after lunch and benadryl around 2:45 but I thought it from the food

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. Instead of pepto i would recommend OTC cap omeprazole 40mg once daily in morning before breakfast. I think your swelling was due to a bite. Benadryl is the right choice for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had coffee half and bread with milk and sugar some other doctor told me to take pepto bismol after lunch and dinner why that medicine before breakfast I didn't labor breathing after I eat bread with butter with coffee cuz the doctor say don't drink empty stomach because of the acid

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes he was right that pepto should not be taken on empty stomach but for omeprazole is recommended to be taken empty stomach. It works better on empty stomach.But you should avoid coffee.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I'm talking about omeprazole before breakfast he told me to take pepto after lunch and dinner my stomach is normal compare to the pain and can I sleep thru the night with this pain

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i didn't understand what you are asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

TheThen acid reflux of the pain on my left side and front of stomach

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
yes your pain is due to acid reflux and in my opinion omeprazole should be your choice and i am quite confident that you will be able to sleep easily.Please remember to rate my answer. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you know I'm getting strong today I feel like I'm myself cuz I can yawn. Saying I'm tired and I feel my hunger sound is back but I know I got too more weeks it takes time I can eat anything and water and orange juice

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
yes i think you are getting better because if you are feeling hungry this means that you are healing. just take care of your diet in next two weeks because one you get ok, you will be able to enjoy everything. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MyMty dad say to eat everything I haven't eat spicy food so does this virus affect my time of month and can I do sex

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can eat most of the things but avoid spicy foods. No this is not likely to affect your time of month and yes you can do sex. Please remember to rate my answer. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The problem is I have to find someone to go get that today my mom friend say don't go anywhere or wash my face

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
yes but you have to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that but I have to see the swelling go down and I can't do myself

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Then apply ice packs to that area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you sure? She told me not to touch it may be a bite and told me don't go out or wash face

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
yes sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O really so it's not serious i don't know if I can eat

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes ofcourse you can eat. I will be offline after a while. Do you have any further question? If you found my response helpful, please remember to rate my answer. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No when will you be online again

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
There is no fixed time. You can always ask more and i will get back to you whenever i come online. I will try to respond as early as possible. If you found my response helpful, please remember to rate my answer. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor