Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

So, I had a similar experience. My lab brought a dead bat to

So, I had a similar experience. My lab brought a dead bat to the porch. A well trained bird dog. My husband romoved it with gloves. We didn't have it tested. I talked to the vet a couple days later and he said it was probably too late, had been dead for 48-72 hours or more. So, my panic is that right after he brought it to us, the kids at my home were playing with the dogs. My fear is that if there was bat saliva on the dogs tongue, can it be transferred to us?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : since the dog has been vaccinated then the dog would not contract the illness. If the dog had not been vaccinated then this could have become a risky situation ....
Anthony Bray MD : As it is I do not think that the kids later playing with the dog would be at risk to contract rabies....
Anthony Bray MD : Direct contact with the bat>>>kids would have been of more concern if this had been the situation....
Anthony Bray MD : I don't think that your children would have any significant risk of rabies from the sequence of events that you have described however ...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions or concerns and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Ok, thank you. I love my dogs, but was more concerned about the kids getting licked by my dog who had the bat in his mouth. I didn't know if the bat saliva could be transferred that way to a human, since no one was bitten or scratched. I don't have any idea how long the bat had been dead. My dogs are trained bird dogs. Trained to retrieve, not chew on. So, the bat was looking pretty un-messed with other than my dogs slobber on it.

Thank you. I was not as worried about my dogs as the kids. I didn't know if the dead bat's saliva had gotten on my dogs tongue, if that could then be transferred to a human if they were licked. Rare, I know, but still. I am just trying to be safe. My dogs are up to date on all shots, and no one was bit, scratched, etc, by my dog. Just a possible lick while playing and petting.

I think I have just been so worried because of reading different opinions. When you think about your child being in danger or others kids being in danger, then it hits a panic button in me.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again,
Anthony Bray MD : I understand your concern!!
Anthony Bray MD : I have three of my own and I understand your sense of panic!!
Anthony Bray MD : I knew that your concern was with regard to your children....
Anthony Bray MD : The situation described would seem to me to be very low risk and not warrant( to the best if my knowledge) any further action such as receiving the series of rabies vaccine....
Anthony Bray MD : The virus would most typically be transmitted by an invasive injury ---usually a bite -- with infected saliva coming into contact with the blood stream/ tissue....
Anthony Bray MD : The possibility of infection from an actively infected animal to the mucus membranes ( say infected dog licks child in the mouth) >>> I think that this would be much lower order of magnitude of transfer ( similar to HIV as an example ) rabies may be more infectious than HIV in such regard....