Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

what does sudden numbness or stiffness in left hand and fingers

what does sudden numbness or stiffness in left hand and fingers mean?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

For how long you have these symptoms?
Do you have breathing discomfort or numbness in left arm/shoulder?
Swelling in left hand?
Are you on any medications?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?
Any other health or medical problems

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no other symtoms that i know of. suffer from gout from time to time

Thanks for all these additional details. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

I understand your concern. First of all it important to rule out heart related disease so EKG should be done ASAP.

It can also occur due to Ulnar nerve entrapment.Also sometimes, it may cause Numbness and tingling in the ring finger and little finger. It occurs, when the nerve is very compressed or has been compressed for a long time. This can be due to, repetitive activity which requires a bent elbow that can irritate the nerve.
Gout can also affect hand and may cause your symptoms.

The common causes are- Nerve compression, Cervical radiculopathy, poor blood circulation or heart disease.
It is always advised to go for X-ray of the elbow or wrist to look for bone spurs, arthritis,which may be compressing the nerve. Other possibility can be of Nerve root compression of cervical spine.
Also your doctor may recommend nerve conduction studies.

It is important to check for heart disease. I would suggest you to get it clinically evaluated in ER ASAP.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business