Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have have been experiencing increasing pain in my left elbow

I have have been experiencing increasing pain in my left elbow for the psat 4 moths. It is increasingly getting worse. The weird thig is I am right handed and hardly ever use my let are except fo basic stiuff. It hurts deep in the bone and not muscle. I trie dphysical therapy, but that isn't helping and just making this work. Its swollen and tender and I'm exhausted all teh time. Any possible things I should check out? Pleae advise. Thanks!

Possibilites of the causes of pain in elbow (deep in the bone) are;

1) tennis elbow
2) golfer's elbow
3) olecranon bursitis
4) degenerative arthritis
5) little league elbow syndrome
6) cervical radiculopathy.

An MRI is one of the best investigation to get the exact diagnosis. The Golfer's elbow has the pain on the inner side of the bone on elbow (and its counterpart tennis elbow on the opposite end, both have same treatment) and has following advised for the management (olecranon bursitis and other too would also respond to similar management);

1) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin / Advil for around 10-14 days.

2) Elbow brace

3) Physical therapy

4) Warm compresses

5) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

These are the initial modalities and if the pain does not respond than the further interventions would be required;

1) iontophoresis, phonophoresis

2) electrical stimulation

3) shock wave therapy

4) local steroid shots

Read the resources;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.