Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

Hello, I have very subtle pain that starts in my ear and radiates

Hello, I have very subtle pain that starts in my ear and radiates down my neck and then between my chest and shoulder area on the right side. This only happens when I lay down. If the pain as started, sometimes I will get out the bed and stand on my feet. The pain will go away in a matter of seconds. When I am sitting upright or standing I the pain is never generated in these positions. I need to sleep, what can I take to minimize the pain. I have tramodol and tynelol.

Schneata
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

When did the pain start first?

Dr. Saha :

How frequently do you feel it?

Customer:

A couple of weeks ago or maybe longer than that. The pain was off and on, but the past two weeks it is more prevalent. I only feel it shortly after I lay down. There seems to be an existing pressure in my right ear.

Dr. Saha :

Do you feel it only on right side?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Saha :

Does laying on other side or change of side relieve it?

Customer:

Sometimes it does, but other times it doesn't. To get the most relief, I have to prop my head upright. Almost sitting up in the bed.

Dr. Saha :

When did you see doctor?

Customer:

About 2 - 3 weeks ago. I had a chest xray and it came back normal. What do you think the problem is?

Dr. Saha :

Just a few more queries. Did he advise any other test? Did he prescribe any medicine? Did you have any past illness?

Customer:

No other test. He suggested that I take some type of IBuforen or Advil. I have an ulcer so I am not taking the medication. I have some tramodol and tynelol. I do not have any other major illnesses.

Dr. Saha :

When the pain starts only on laying, this can be related to nerve impingement.

Dr. Saha :

There can be change in alignment of vertebra causing pressure on nerve.

Dr. Saha :

Though X-ray was normal, you may need MRI.

Customer:

Thats what I am thinking. It seems to start in the ear, move down the neck and became really painful in the shoulder chest area. What can I do to be more comfortable.

Dr. Saha :

I would suggest to get an examination by a neurologist.

Dr. Saha :

He can advise MRI scan of spine.

Customer:

What can I do tonight to get some sleep?

Dr. Saha :

You can take tylenol for pain.

Dr. Saha :

Tramadol can be the second option if tylenol does not help.

Dr. Saha :

There can be other possibilities.

Dr. Saha :

Pressure feeling or pain in the ear can come from fluid collection in ear, inflammation or TMJ disorders.

Dr. Saha :

But those would not radiate to shoulder, chest areas.

Dr. Saha :

It is likely to be related to nerve.

Customer:

It is good to know that the pain is not related the heart although I am uncomfortable when I lay down. I guess there is nothing else to discuss. I will take some medication to try to get some sleep. Thanks for the advice. Oh by the way, how do I correct my email address? It should show asXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Dr. Saha :

We the experts, can not see your email address.

Dr. Saha :

You can contact customer care to change email address.

Dr. Saha :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know
Dr. Saha :

It’s been a pleasure working with you

Dr. Saha :

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.

Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Wish your healthy life. In case you need further help, let me know,

Dr SS