Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Is IBS-C progressive? Meaning that does it get worse and the

Is IBS-C progressive? Meaning that does it get worse and the pains get stronger? I have started to have pains on my side, the stool changes have gotten stranger and specifically (what scared me) was that I was short of breath during one of my last really bad times with the constipation, It was horrible and being an EXTREMELY anxious person anyway (I was also told I had a very small (2.5 mm) uncalcified nodule on my left lung about a year ago) I assumed the worst, but it went away so I guess that is good.... anyways, back to my original question, is it progressive... does it cause odd pains all over the body and why if all organ tests came back normal a year ago, am I still having these pains that I had a year ago, plus some?

I wanted to add that my urination now has a lot of bubbles in it and when I have to go, I have to go like right then. Im worried about protein in my urine too...

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

IBS generally does not get worse over time. It can remain the same .

In some people , the symptoms does seem to progress with increasing constipation and pain. This is especially so in people who are prone to anxiety. A major life changing occurance or diagnosis of another medical condition can make the symptoms worse. This is because IBS is affected by psychological factors.

In your case, it is likely that the diagnosis of a nodule in the lung caused the IBS symptoms to worsen. The anxiety could also have cuased the pain in other patrts of teh body.

Since the nodule has now disappeared and your annxiety level has probably come down, the IBS symptoms will also gradually decrease.

i hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lung nodule hsnt gone away to my knowledge... but, I was asked to go and get another CT scan of my lungs to make sure it hasnt gone grown... which I havent done because I cant afford it.... maybe that is what has made the symptoms get worse. I realize the symptoms are bad with me (prone to anxiety), I just wish I knew a way to control it better. The pains I feel are so odd and generally speaking have been there since the original diagnosis. I am at my wits end. IBS seems to be the goto diagnosis for those with severe anxiety and abdominal pains without any other cause... I am seeing a therapist, I am see my doctor when things get really bad - but, its getting to a point the only time the pain goes away is when I sleep. Is there such a thing as a IBS 'expert'? I will be happy to open another question or pay you more if required.
A solitary lung nodule is usually benign and harmless. It is necessary to keep an eye on it fromtime to time but in most cases, it remains the same.

IBS has both a psychologicla as well as a physical cause for its symptoms. the psychological cause , besides counselling needsto be managed by activities which decrease stress - exercise, meditation, taking up a hobby or acitviyt which will divert your mind from your anxiety etc.

The physical symptoms should mainly be controlled by diet. Increasing the the amount of fibre in the diet - it helps relieve diarrhea and constipation. It dissolves in water and forms a gel-like material which covers and soothes the inflamed tissues . Metamucil , available without prescirption, contains psyllium husk which is a good source of this type of fibre.

Drinking lots of water will also help.

Foods like Fat and caffeine can cause your intestines to contract, which may cause cramping - so ti is better to avoid them. Alcohol should also be avoided.

If you have a crampy pain, you can taker Midol tablets - this is usualy taken for menstrual cramps but are very effective in intestinal cramps too.

If the pain is constant and not crampy, painkillers like ibuprofen will help.

Try eating six small meals a day rather than three larger ones.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience: Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.