Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have had bipolar disorder since 1998 and I have suffered

I have had bipolar disorder since 1998 and I have suffered fom endogenous melancholic depression for about that long. I have agitated depression and need a medicine that will calm me down with a short half life and give me a bit more pep to get my work done without leaden feeling and accompanied tension. Thank you doctor.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Dr Vikas :

Hello

Dr Vikas :

are you currently taking any medicines?

Dr Vikas :

please reply and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

please read my text it has my details about meds currently on and I have some stagnation with ineffective or minimally effective zoloft and effexor

Dr Vikas :

Thanks for your reply. There are few options about which you can discuss with your doctor.

Dr Vikas :

For Bipolar depression, Lamotrigine is the first line mood stabilizer. It is specially useful for treating Depressive phase of Bipolar disorder and can also prevent future manic or depressive phase.

Dr Vikas :

The other possible option is to try Quetiapine (Seroquel) which is useful for both depressive and manic phase and being a sedating medicine has calming effect.

Dr Vikas :

In your case, Lamotrigine can be a very good option in my view specially since you are not noticing good improvement with Zoloft and Effexor. Lamotrigine can effectively control your agitated depression and thus will have a calming effect also.

Dr Vikas :

Just discuss with your doctor about trying this medicine in your case. Your doctor can taper down and stop the antidepressants and keep you on Lamotrigine if you find it useful.

Dr Vikas :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking, if not, please let me know so that l can continue to help you. If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

If you do not require further assistance,please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

I have tried lamictal in past and stopped taking it after a few monthe because of side effects. Now this was probably 3 years ago and the effects were making me dazed and interfering with concentration on job. Thank you for reply. Do you think some xanax would do me some good because from what i've read it is calming, yet off label for depression aleviation too. I just have a hard time getting doctors trying it on me because they are scared. I am a detail oriented person and have done my research about pro and cons about xanax and I see nothing but good. even a small .25 mg dose when agitation and depression strong at certain times of day so I can get some relief. I am not into abuse, just take minimum that works, as little as possible and yet an effective dose. Thanks for replying and reply again please.

Dr Vikas :

Xanax (Alprazolam) is not indicated for depression as such although it is true that it can cause slight euphoria and lifting up of mood initially but this effect is usually transient. Any Benzodiazepine including Xanax should not be taken for more than few weeks because of risk of developing dependence on it and tolerance to its effect. One possible alternative could be to ask your doctor to prescribe it only on as and when needed basis. Most likely, your doctor will agree to this.

Dr Vikas :

However, taking Xanax will not solve the purpose and you will be needing something extra. So you can consider the option of Seroquel or Abilify also if Lamotrigine does not suits you.

Customer:

Can you prescribe some xanax for me to get through the tough times. It is entirely up to you and in your jurisdiction. Best wishes to you and yours. Thanks Matthew

Dr Vikas :

Hello Matthew, I hope you know that it is illegal to prescribe Xanax online and I will not be able to help you in this. As I mentioned before, Xanax can only give temporary relief for short term but is habitual forming and can cause dependence. I guess, you are fully aware of this fact as you have researched a lot on internet about Xanax.

Dr Vikas :

I am suggesting you some Relaxation techniques which you can try at home and hopefully these techniques will he helpful in your case, specially deep breathing exercise and progressive muscle relaxation technique.

Dr Vikas :

I hope you understand my limitations.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Dr Vikas :

Vikas

Customer:

legal or illegal I do not know. I believe you are correct. You are a doctor, Thanks for your time.

Dr Vikas :

You are most welcome. Thanks for understanding my limitations.

Dr Vikas :

Kind regards

Vikas

Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics