Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Doc Chip, I want to give you some updates on my GI issues

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So the pains from last week are not there as much starting yesterday though I did have some pain on right side of stomach today before I passed bowels in morning and then felt mostly good through the day. I am fine right now and occasionally get a little pain on left or right side of stomach. Have also been a little gassy today.

The other thing I wanted to talk to you about is I can't seem to shake the metallic taste in left side of my mouth. It seems concentrated near where I got a filling last week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, from our discussions before I'm not sure what you mean when you use the word pain for the abdominal issue since what you described before isn't what I'd term pain. And of course a new filling can cause a metallic taste in that specific area for a while
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well the taste thing has been going on for 3, 4 weeks...so well before the filling happened.

Like a cramp like pain or feeling when constipated, like a sudden jolt of discomfort is what i mean in the stomach

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, not sure then why you mentioned the filling but if the taste has always been on one side all this time that certainly sounds like a filling causing it. But we've talked about your abdominal problem extensively so what more can I tell you about that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I think we are miscommunicating on the metallic taste. What I meant to say is that I have had it for 4 weeks or so. The filling I just got last week so I dont think the filling is the cause.

Regarding stomach, could it be like a stomach cancer or am I too young for that?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not miscommunicating but you said on the left side for the taste. Is this taste continuous? No, you're not too young for stomach cancer but it would be rare at your age. My point here is that with your obsessive/compulsive worries about your health, unless you get things like upper and lower endoscopy, nothing I can tell you will get the fear of cancer out of your mind
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The taste is continuous certain days then is kind of nonexistant other days. Very strange.

Could an X-Ray or CT Scan find stomach cancer? What are the symptoms to look for ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why do you insist on going over things we've talked about before? And my giving you possible symptoms still won't help too much but the typical symptoms would be fullness after eating, perhaps some nausea, and maybe some vague abdominal pain. A ct scan might detect stomach cancer but the scope would be the gold standard for that. As for the taste, I told you before it could be either reflux or a sinus infection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Whats difference between a ct scan and an xray? Is one better for this?

What also the procedure where they make you drink this pink dye to illuminate your insides?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
An abdominal x-ray is just a simple x-ray and it wouldn't detect stomach cancer. What you're talking about is an upper GI series with a barium swallow and that could detect a stomach tumor if it were large enough. A ct scan with contrast you drink could show stomach cancer but really the endoscopy is the best diagnostic tool both for looking for a tumor and for biopsying anything suspicious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Is a GI Series a type of ct scan/xray?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You drink barium and then x-rays are taken. The barium shows up on the x-rays and if there's a lump in the stomach it would show up. It can also show what are called filling defects if there are ulcers present. BUT--if there were anything abnormal seen on the upper GI an upper endoscopy would be necessary so basically it's best to cut to the chase and get the upper endoscopy from the get go
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it thanks. Can these procedures be done in the ER? If so, would it cost a lot more to have it done in ER then scheduling an appointment with a radiologist? I have relatively pretty good insurance, Blue Shield PPO.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The endoscopy would be done in an ER--that would be done by a gastroenterologist at an outpatient surgical center. The upper GI series and the ct scan with contrast would be done at a radiology/imaging center, not at an ER. Basically you don't go to an ER for any of this.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I saw my doc yesteday. He did all these excercises where he pushed different areas of my abdomen with his hand to see if i feel any pain and then stretched my legs as well while i was lying down. Oddly I felt no pain during those excercises.

He scheduled me for an ultrasound of the whole abdomen for this Friday.

I am still puzzled what I have. My relative GI Doc thinks I may have IBS but I have only been going to the bathroom for bowel movememnts once a day and the bowels appear normal?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why did you think the exam might cause pain? What makes your GI consider IBS?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I thhought the stomach would be tender in certain areas that the doc applied pressure on because of all my stomach problems in past 10, 11 days. That makes sense right?

GI thinks IBS based on all the symptoms I told him: on and off pains on both sides of stomach, occasional gassiness, no loss of appetitie, no fever, no real nausea, able to sleep fine at night, the pain isnt causing me to interrupt my life or job, etc..

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
IBS would not cause any tenderness on exam. I agree that what you describe is still consistent with IBS. So has the GI convinced you that nothing serious is going on here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Haha you are funny Doc but to some extent he has. I wil be more convinced (knock on wood) if the ultrasound comes out ok on Friday. I will let you know later in the day Friday how that goes.

On a side topic, I have had some weird on and off tingling in my hand since 2 nights ago...my doc said it might be due to my keyboard use becuase i am on computer a lot including at night in bed when i kind of lay on my side with my right elbow dug into the mattress and typing at an odd angle for my right hand...this normal to happen?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What part of the hand exactly and how long does it last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right hand. It tingled if i moved my fingers around or hit them on table etc. Hard for me to say if just the fingers or whole hand...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, if you compress the ulnar nerve at the elbow--where your "funny bone" is it can temporarily make your pinky and ring finger tingle. You'd know if it was all your fingers or the whole hand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, is this anything serious?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, not at all. For example, if I've been using my mouse for a long time, the tips of my thumb, index, and middle fingers go tingly for a while because I've been compressing my median nerve at the wrist. It always wears off in a short time. Let me know about the scan results
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc, is colon cancer also a possibility for me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
We've talked about that before. I could never tell you no chance at all but at your age and without any symptoms that make me consider that I don't think you have it. But, again, the only way to be sure would be with a colonoscopy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did? Maybe I forgot. WHat are symotoms again?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really don't need to hear this but pencil thin stools, a lot of constipation, and a varying amount of abdominal pain, usually in the left lower quadrant
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pencil thin??? That's possible? wow.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
With a tumor that constricts the lumen--the tunnel inside the colon--the stool that gets by gets compressed into the diameter of a pencil.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here were the results of the ultrasound:

1) Fatty liver with mild focal fatty sparing

2) no evidence of gallstones or cjloecustitis

3) peripelvic left renal cyst

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pancreas, spleen appendix stomach gallbladder all were fine

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--no cancer then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But Doc, fatty liver??? :-(

Seems like I am doomed later on in life...

Do you think the fatty liver is also the culprit for my stomach issues lately?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't think so--usually it doesn't cause any symptoms. But don't jump to being doomed--sounds like a mild amount of fatty infiltration and that doesn't mean too much really. And the cyst is benign and of no consequence
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok how come my Doctor never really mentions Hepatitis as a possibility?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Where did you come up with the idea of hepatitis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's related to abnormalities in liver right?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--at least it's not related to mild fatty infiltration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just wish I could get to the bottom of the stomach issues. It sounds like fatty liver probably shouldn't be related to the stomach problems

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It isn't--like I said it usually doesn't cause any symptoms at all. At least you should be relieved no cancer was seen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok and it seems you are confident based on everything i told you last few months that i dont display the typical symptoms of my worst fear like an std?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I meant this last bit as a question

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I was off. No, nothing you've told me so far makes me consider any STD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok yea I just have felt off these past few weeks with the stomach stuff and and constantly paranoid about why the tinea had not 100% cleared yet..I do have a thought though that perhaps my jeans are too tight in crotch area (I am 25 pound overweight) and I should get bigger jeans as I think some chafing is occuring there due to me being overweight

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good idea--you might also consider using a hypoallergenic talcum powder in the area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Like lotrimine?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--just a talcum powder--nothing medicated--just to keep the area dry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok how about johnston and johnston baby powder?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Perfect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc the ultra sound that I had done this past Friday...how at ease can my mind be off the findings from it? Should I no longer worry about getting a endoscopy/colonoscopy, Upper GI Series etc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No you still need the other tests just to check everything out. But if you have upper endoscopy you don't need the upper GI series.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about if i had an upper gi series done. could i then avoid the upper endoscopy? the idea of having something down my throat is kind of unnerving to me

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That would cover cancer, ulcers and reflux which would be enough for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will think about it...btw Doc you are always very responsive even on weekends and evenings which is great for people like me. I hope you still find some time to have some leisure time!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Oh, I promise you I do play in addition to working--take care until we talk again
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Doc,

I just walked from the movie theater to my house and on way picked up a sandwich. By the time I got home and ate it I felt a little nauseated it and a little hot. The weather outside is probably in 70s and I am in jeans and a longsleeve with socks but is this normal?

What are warning signs of diabetes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The walk from theater was probably 1.5 miles...It was also furst thing i ate all day

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
A little hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's warm outside

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So what's your concern here since nothing sounds serious to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You think I felt that way cuz I had my first meal (a light sandwich) at 5:30pm?

Also, was since I am overweight and have some liver issues, was curious how people are diagnosed as diabetic?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Very simple on the diabetes--fasting blood glucose and hemoglobin A1C. Yes on the first food of the day often causing nausea
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you there doc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hey--just got on--get back to me in about three hours