Help4Health
Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Is it safe to have a chest wall MRI ? Do the magnets interfer

Is it safe to have a chest wall MRI ? Do the magnets interfer with the mechanism of the heart.
Category: Health
Expert:  Help4Health replied 1 year ago.

My name isXXXXX a registered nurse with many years of clinical experience. I very much appreciate your patronage and am glad to try and help out.

Here's how this works. Your concern is quite understandable, so I'm happy to offer you some reassurance and peace of mind. Yes, it's entirely safe. In fact, in addition to caring for countless patients undergoing the procedure, I've had a couple done on myself personally. Truly, it's one of the safest procedures one can undergo. There's no radiation exposure, nothing invasive, and so forth. Prior to the scan you'll be thoroughly questioned by the staff and giving a written checklist to disclose any metallic issues (i.e. implants, piercings and so forth). As far as safety goes, though, you can rest assured. And, just to be explicit, there is absolutely no interference whatsoever with the normal functioning of the heart (or any other organ).

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, R.N.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they need to administer contrast with tHe scan? Does it nor matter tha my heart will be in the magnetic field

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back..great to hear from you!

Regarding contrast, it can be done either way (or both). It's up to the prescriber ordering the test. In other words, it will be "with contrast", "without contrast", or "with and without contrast". Without seeing the order, I can't say what is planned in your case, but if you check with the prescriber's office they can sure tell you.

And as to the issue of the magnetic field, no it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Your heart (and mine!) is being bathed in magnetic energy constantly, even at this very moment. It has utterly zero impact on cardiac functioning. None. Zero. I can absolutely understand your concerns, but you are entirely in the clear. Good news!

Hope that helps some more and that all goes smoothly!

Best regards,

Ben, R.N.

Help4Health, Registered Nurse
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, R.N.